Flight Question mars re entry

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I am planning a flight to mars with the arrow and thr xr2 im the bay. I was wondering what AoA and ApA should i have to re enter mars with the xr2 if i had an orbit of mars of 300km. Also can the arrow survive a re entry on mars and be? able to hover using hover thrusts so i can make a cargo drop?

Last edited:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
You can land on Mars much like landing on the moon, but you have to give it a longer distance from the deorbit burn to the pad because of the aerodynamic forces. It's all about practice and getting the 'feel' of it.

I am also pretty sure there are numerous threads about how to perform the procedure that could be found using either the search function or google.

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Ok thanks, i use retro thrusts and hover to land on the moon. I tryed to re enter mars with the xr2 with 20km ApA and an AoA of 40. I was at 3 km high and was traveling at 3k m/s i slammed into to the surface and died. i am going to have a nother try but land at a 20 AoA and see what happens

Tommy

Reaction score
Re-entry on Mars is a bit different from Earth. Keep in mind that your vessel is designed for Earth's atmosphere, so the wings are a bit small for the thinner Martian atmosphere. As you have noticed, this means less drag and less lift. However, the weaker gravity means your velocity at Entry Interface tends to be lower as well - typically in the 4k -5k range as opposed to the 8k+ common in Earth entries.

With an Earth re-entry, I will typically transition from high AoA to conventional flight at a velocity of about 800 m/s, at an altitude around 20k. Vessels like the XR series, designed for Earth, can't even stay airborne at 800 m/s in Mar's thin air, so obviously the method need to be adjusted.

While a "runway" landing is possible in Orbiter, it isn't realistic in an XR-2 because you would be landing at around 1250 m/s. We don't have the technology to make a wheel and tire capable of that, but we could pretend. Or we could use the hover engines once our velocity falls below stall speed (about 1150 m/s). Either way, we still need to get down to that speed and aerobraking is the most efficient way to do that. It's just a bit trickier than on Earth.

On Earth, you can find a good AoA (around 35 to 40 degrees typically) and stay with it throughout the aerobrake phase. That isn't possible on Mars. You will need to adjust the AoA throughout the re-entry.

My first goal in a Mars re-entry is to attain level flight in a high AoA flight configuration. I want to be able to maintain altitude while keeping the AoA at least 35 degrees.

So, I'll DEO to a PeA of around 30k, and start with an AoA of 40. As I get closer to PeA I'll watch the VS and VACC, and try to have both near zero at 30k. I usually have to drop the AoA, but won't lower it below 35 unless the VACC is still < 0 (note that I said VACC, not VS, which I want to keep > -50 m/s after PeA). The idea is to slowly sink down until I can maintain level flight at an AoA of 35 degrees. From there, I adjust the AoA as required to keep the VACC within 2 m/s of zero, above or below zero as required to maintain the VS greater than -20 m/s.

This results in a slow lowering of the AoA, so I may be down to 25 degrees by the time I hit 10k alt, etc. Most winged vessels attain max lift at about 18 degrees AoA, so when you can't maintain altitude at a 20 degree AoA it's time to transition to low AoA flight and use the hovers to maintain altitude, and use airbrakes and retros to slow down. It's a bit trickier, but you can also maintain a positive AoA and let the hover engines proved some braking as well as lift.

At any rate, by the time you are down to below 1200 m/s, you can pretty much ignore the atmosphere and land like you would on an airless body - with the exception that you won't be able to turn around and use the mains for braking.