Project Mars Design Reference Mission 1

markp

Reaction score
Hi the mesh I'm using there is from the Vallis Dao addon
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1359"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1359[/ame]

The texture is part of that addon. MFL is working in Orbiter 2010 as well as it's based on spacecraft3.
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3248"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3248[/ame]

I just used an MFL base scenario and did some scenario editing to remove vessels from addons I dont have installed in my current Orbiter folder. Then I added the DRM lander into the scenario and flew it down to the base. Hope that helps. I can dig out the scenario if you like.

markp

Reaction score
OK here are the scenarios (included in a zip file) I used for the visit to the MFL base. Also included is an updated habitat lander dll following comments made elsewhere on the forum by Wishbone. I have added the possibility of selecting a target during the entry phase and for the autopilot to fly the ship to the landing site by changing the angle of attack.

For the scenarios to work you need the MFL addon and the esa inflatable addon (and of course DRM1 landers v1.3). Also you'll need Vallis Dao for it to look right. I've put the links to the required addon in a text file along with the other files. Have fun!

DRM1 visit to MFL base and updated habitat lander dll with automatic entry

View attachment DRM1_v1.3_update_010911.zip

Interceptor

Reaction score
Thank you very much MarkP,you are very kind,and your addon is fantastic,I am always looking foward to your next update.:cheers:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hi markP, your new automatic entry autopilot works great a couple of bugs here,and there but all in all very precise,thou I tried it the scenarios with your first DRMV1 1.3,and the autopilot wont work.Eventualy will the autopilot be able to land you anywhere on mars?.Thanks:thumbup:

Last edited:

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
AFAIR it is listed as DRM1_wballoon, but be sure to pause the orbiter while adding the craft, and put it on the ground before unpausing.

markp

Reaction score
OK I updated the habitat lander dll so it can land at the DRM1 base and MFL base. Hopefully it can land at other bases but I haven't tested that yet. I've included a test scenario with the habitat lander approaching the DRM base which works ok.

View attachment DRM1_v1.3_update_050911.zip

With regard to the balloon I haven't had much luck with fixing the bug reported by Wishbone yet but hope to soon as I think I know what the problem is.

Thanks Babelonia for the feedback, O2 management and other life support systems would be very interesting to simulate eventually.

markp

Reaction score
Quick update:

1. Think I've fixed the problem with the balloons causing CTDs.

2. Revamped my telerover into a weather rocket launcher! Launch angle can be changed (uses an attachment). Not sure how realistic it is but it's kind of fun.

rocketrover.jpg

markp

Reaction score
Made some progress with calculations in the landers entry program for when the lift vector of the aeroshell is rotated sideways. It wasn't taken into account before but now the spacecraft can be banked sideways and the correct lander release (from the parachute) coordinates calculated.

I have added an autopilot that corrects the cross-range error during entry and can release the lander about 1 km from its target. More fuel efficient landings are now possible on a regular basis.

Image shows parachute after autopilot has released the lander inside the canyon.

ParachutesOverCanyon.jpg

markp

Reaction score
The lander can be released from the parachute more or less over its target now. :)

Will move onto meshing and texturing of some cargo boxes and a new greenhouse I think next which I have some ideas for. Then that together, with this fancy new autopilot, the weather rocket, dubugged balloons and a couple of other updates can be v1.4.

markp

Reaction score
Managed to come up with some cargo box designs that I am almost happy with. Probably remove the white background from the telerover box.

CargoBoxes.jpg

Also, in other areas, the guidance system for the landers is moving forward. The system can now be used to predict the amount of bank required to reach a target. Plan to add bank modulation prediction for a trajectory when using a constant angle of attack entry vehicle, like the Earth return capsule.

Matrix Aran

Reaction score
Any recommendations for vehicles to get these marvelous landers out of earth orbit and over to Mars? I could strap them to a Falcon 9 but it'd only get them so far I think.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have used Falcon XX to send NTR propulsion stage to LEO. Assembly has small error margin, though.

markp

Reaction score
Hi, had a search a while back for a suitable launcher for the landers plus UCGO cargo but couldnt find anything. I haven't launched the landers from Earth's surface yet. That will be a focus for version 1.5.

In the meantime I'd also be interested if anyone has any suggestions for launchers. Version 1.4 is almost ready just need to make a nice greenhouse for it.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I'm just going to 2nd wish bone and say that glider's falcon XX has been my launcher of choice.