API Question Manual control levels

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
So I know that "GetManualControlLevel()" will tell me the control input level from thuse via keyboard mouse Jstick etc... but is there a way to Set this level independantly?

I'm trying to figure out a way to make an AP function using Pulse-based and other non-standard RCS configurations and this would greatly simplify matters.

My alternate solution would be to create a set of dummy thrusters asign the normal orbiter controls to these and then have my actual thrusters controled by a seperate function

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My alternate solution would be to create a set of dummy thrusters asign the normal orbiter controls to these and then have my actual thrusters controled by a seperate function
This is how SSU does it. The main drawback to this method is that it could potentially break the Orbitersim default autopilots, or any other autopilot that uses the default RCS thruster groups. If you want to use external autopilots, make sure there is a mode where the actual thruster commands are linked directly to the dummy thrusters.

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Good to know that others have tread this way before.

I'm trying to mimic the behavior of the LEM's stability/attitude control system.

It had three modes "Direct" where thrusters were linked directly to the joistic/throttle. Basically full manual control without computer assistance.

"Pulse" where moving the joystic a given amount corisponded to a given rate of rotation and centering the stick would stop your rotation.

and finally "Auto" where moving the stick would have a contextual effect on the autopilot but the autopilot would have complete control over the thrusters.

It should be pretty simple to do a

Code:
if (RCS_MODE_CONT == Direct) "use normal orbiter control groups/inputs"
else "use my custom control groups/inputs"

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"Pulse" where moving the joystic a given amount corisponded to a given rate of rotation and centering the stick would stop your rotation.
I'm not sure how the LM's attitude control worked, but on the shuttle, "PULSE" mode meant that moving the joystick would increase/decrease the rotation rate by a fixed value (i.e. 1 deg/sec). Centering the joystick and then moving it again would further change the rotation rate.

What you've described (moving the joystick causes the vessel to rotate at a fixed rate; rotation stops when the joystick is centered) sounds more like the DISC RATE mode on the shuttle.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
just to count as reference, the G42-200 also interprets input axes using dummy thrusters :thumbup:

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Ok I've gone the dummy thruster route but have run into a problem with orbiter's built-in killrot function.

It seems to have only two settings for each thruster group full on and full off, which results in wild occilations.

Obviously this is not normal and it appears to be tied to my dummy thrusters configuration in some way. Has anyone else encountered this?