Making a full length feature film based on Orbiter

hanseatic

Reaction score
Just tell me your thoughts.

What would it take to make some full length movie, lets say near tech scifi, fully produced by the communities of Orbiter, Blender and Ardour, published under some Creative Commons variant, with scenarios to replay on orbithangar or whereever?
With Orbiter 2009/2010 beeing released soon, the time might be just right.

Steps:
1 Clarify leagal issues weather Orbiter itsself, ships, bases, tetures, etc, may be used or need to be asked for. (Lawyers and Martin Schweigers support?)
2 Setting up a "roadmap" or timeplan upon the following:
3 Screenplay development:
A call for drafts or synopsis could be placed, and users here vote for one. The winning script would be developed further and be disscussed by either screenplay people or all users, until a commonly agreed workable version is found, or the roadmap defines the latest version.
4 Bring in the Blender community and convent them to the project for dialog/indoor scenes. (probably more work to be done than by Orbiter). Discussion on file formats, caracter looks, etc.
5 Some or one individual will have to evolve as a directing authority possibly out of the screenplay development, also, there would need to be a person or board that makes sure everybody who has contributed gets his or her credits. They need to manage and call for, whatever scenes are to be constructed.
6 Bring in the Ardour community. They would need to develop sound effects, a foley cut, and i18n for different languages.

Sounds like a big project to me, but doable.

jinglesassy

Reaction score
There are already many full length movies of orbiter the ones made by tex are full length he doesnt show us half of it :lol: but i dont think it would be that good a hour and a half film of orbiter but i am not a huge fan of films to begin with so yeah but i have one concern.

Your first post hanseatic.

Ark

Reaction score
Hard to make an engaging film where most of the footage is the same and there's no dialogue.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Hard to make an engaging film where most of the footage is the same and there's no dialogue.
Yeah, the best you can do is narrate. There aren't any well-animated characters.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I think that for indoors it would be conventional animation.
For outdoors it may be some sort of compositing of characters and after effects on top of Orbiter renders.
For scenes on planet surfaces, Terragen would be the tool of choice.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I already set forth a plan in the Video games you want to see turned into movies thread.

You come up with a hardly believable script, you make crappy sets out of cardboard, and recruit you buddies as actors, despite the fact that their acting is horrid. Then, you use Orbiter for the outside shots.

Once put all together, it looks really, really crappy, except for the Orbiter part.

If I lived in hollywood, and had money, the only thing that would not change would be the script. And the crappyness.

:p

Auzar

Reaction score
I would take part in the similar project,
I can help with sound design and music

hanseatic

Reaction score
The idea was indeed not a work of Orbiter only shots. However the story could be developed around "existing" ships, bases and maybe even brands in the orbiter community.
When it comes to dialog/indoor scenes which usually are the major part the movie, blender comes in. Here the carakter design could seize blenders grade of details, to veify a continuous look. Obviously, blender charakters are limited, but with additional facial and skeleton animations, it could work. after all, a good movie does not depend on Pixar/ILM style polish as long as the story works. Traditional cartoon animations are still produced and successful, and they are technically speaking of even less quality.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When it comes to dialog/indoor scenes which usually are the major part the movie, blender comes in. Here the carakter design could seize blenders grade of details, to veify a continuous look. Obviously, blender charakters are limited, but with additional facial and skeleton animations, it could work.

Depending on the size of your team, that's two to five years of work right there...

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Stick with the cardboard and the friends IMO. If you do it right at least it'll look cute, bad CGI is bad CGI.