Question LTFMD the return to KSC from the moon

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hello,I have had no problem using LTMFD to go to the moon,I followed the tutorial,and Vola,I was in the moons orbit in no time,but I am kind of confused about returning to earth,I know that you use TEI mode to calculate the trip,but I notice that there is the periapsis,and reentry mode,I don't know which one to use with the DG,or the correct settings for a return to KSC,any suggestions?Thanks:facepalm:

Gr_Chris_pilot

DGIV Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hello,I have had no problem using LTMFD to go to the moon,I followed the tutorial,and Vola,I was in the moons orbit in no time,but I am kind of confused about returning to earth,I know that you use TEI mode to calculate the trip,but I notice that there is the periapsis,and reentry mode,I don't know which one to use with the DG,or the correct settings for a return to KSC,any suggestions?Thanks:facepalm:

I think LTMFD reentry mode is for a ballistic reentry with a capsule... You can only change the reentry angle and not the anticipation angle or set a target....I use IMFD to set Rea and Ant at a specific base-target with beautiful results.
Just remember to start your reentry inverted (ship upside down) to use lift generated by wings to keep you inside 70-75k altitude until you lose excessive speed (from ~13km/s to 7km/s) that can kick you out of atmosphere again.
At 7km/s roll back to normal attitude descent land and thats all...

tip: Keep an eye on climb-descent RATE (VACC) indication on surface MFD while inverted to keep a steady rate or maintain desired altitude. makes things easier :thumbup:

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips GR_chris_pilot,yeah, I think I will reenter more basic than that way,but good advice none the less.:cheers:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Are you looking to do a direct re-entry? or get to the earth, do an orbit insertion, and then de-orbit?

Interceptor

Reaction score
I don't think the LTMFD has an earth orbit insertion program,I know it has a lunar orbit insertion op thou,I have used that,and it performs quite nicely,thats why I am asking for tips on how to reenter earth with the LTMFD,I usually use IMFD,but just thought I would try something different.Thanks.:)

Last edited:

Tommy

Reaction score
LTMFD does have the option to transfer from Luna to LEO - that is what "Periapsis Mode" is for.

As far as I can tell, in Re-entry mode, the lat/long displayed is the location of the Re-Entry Interface - you will need to adjust it to account for the distance traveled during the aerobrake (ie, Ant).

With a DG type vessel, I find that using Pe mode works better - just set the altitude for 70km, and the longitude of the Pe about 60 degrees west of the target base. It isn't really possible to figure out the Latitude and Direction without some external math - but it isn't really required. I find that, for KSC, a Lat of around 17 degrees south and a Direction of about 65 - 70 degrees will get you in the ball park. I then use IMFD's Delta-V program, along with IMFD's Map program (in re-entry mode) to fine tune the PeA and base alignment immediately after entering the Earth's SOI - this typically results in a very small burn - and is the only MCC needed. Note that the Moon's latitude (relative to the Earth) is somewhat important - if you try this while the Moon is in the southern hemisphere you will need a larger plane change in the MCC.

To re-enter directly from the Moon (without entering LEO first) you will NEED to make an inverted re-entry (as mentioned above) to avoid being ejected before you can shed enough speed (unless you are willing to take advantage of the DG's invulnerability to heat - in which case just aim for a PeA of about 10k - but it wouldn't work in a DGIV or XR vessel).

Interceptor

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Tommy, I kind of figured it out now,and am using the the LTMFD to my advantage now,I will soon get up the courage to try an inverted direct reentry with the XR2.BTW Happy Thanksgiving.:thumbup:

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
:hesaid:

All I can say. Learn that inverted re entry. I use it on all my trips from the moon.