Live "training" session for NASSP

bcirka

Reaction score
Days to weeks, depending on how much time you commit each day

Ah, I had no idea. I guess that's why a start-to-finish "demo" session is impractical. Thanks for opening my eyes.

----------------------------------------------------

The video you posted was helpful to me. It's got more information in it then what I've seen on YouTube so far, in particular the annotations you typed on the screen.

Kuddel - I agree with your comment as well. The narration--explaining the "what" and "why"--is what this community eventually needs to get to. Still, I'm excited to start with videos like the above as a baseline that we can eventually build off of.

And if I ever get to understand these missions better, I'll contribute to the narration effort too!

MrFickles

Reaction score
Ah, I had no idea. I guess that's why a start-to-finish "demo" session is impractical. Thanks for opening my eyes.
Yes, because we're limited to about maybe x20 time acceleration at best due to the complex simulation going on in the background. (I personally keep it at x10) Even the shortest mission Apollo 8 takes ~17h assuming I fly it at x10 the entire time. (which is 100% impossible)

This is why I'm proposing bite-size videos that focus on one topic at a time. For example, if you learn how to perform a G&C SPS burn, it's going to be more or less the same procedure whether it's done to rendezvous with the S-IVB on Apollo 7, or for DOI on Apollo 15.

The video you posted was helpful to me. It's got more information in it then what I've seen on YouTube so far, in particular the annotations you typed on the screen.
I'm glad you found that helpful. Launch isn't a very good example of "how to do stuff" because it's hands-off for the most part. I just wanted to point out some things that might not have been obvious for the novice astronaut.

Thymo

I like breaking things
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nassp.space
@bcirka
I've answered some of your questions as comments in your spreadsheet.

bcirka

Reaction score
Awesome Thymo, thank you!

I'm not sure if this is the best method yet, but perhaps it can evolve to a useful document for the community, capturing a bunch of Q&A about a mission at their appropriate timestamps.

MrFickles

Reaction score
Awesome Thymo, thank you!

I'm not sure if this is the best method yet, but perhaps it can evolve to a useful document for the community, capturing a bunch of Q&A about a mission at their appropriate timestamps.

I personally quite like this method.
I don't know what you guys don't know, so I can show how to do stuff with the spacecraft, and you can ask away on the spreadsheet.

thammond

Reaction score
A question for any of the experienced NASSP users. Are there any Apollo historical documents that would be recommended to read or peruse before starting the NASSP addon? If so which ones?

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, the Apollo Operations Handbook Volume 1.

CSM: https://history.nasa.gov/afj/aohindex.html
LM: https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/LM10HandbookVol1.pdf

That should give you a detailed knowledge of the systems. You don't need to know everything from it, but it helps if you have looked through it.

Volume II of the AOH has procedures, which helps as a reference when you have already started using NASSP:

CSM: https://www.ibiblio.org/apollo/Documents/AOH_A16_VOL2_Part_1.pdf https://www.ibiblio.org/apollo/Documents/AOH_A16_VOL2_Part_2.pdf
LM: https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/LM11HandbookVol2.pdf

bcirka

Reaction score
Those are awesome resources, I hadn't seen Volume II before.

MrFickles - I will patiently and appreciatively wait until you produce your next video, and then I'll once again post up a slew of questions to supplement.

I'm very pleased with how this is coming together!

MrFickles

Reaction score
MrFickles - I will patiently and appreciatively wait until you produce your next video, and then I'll once again post up a slew of questions to supplement

Next one would probably be a "AGC for dummies" in a text format since most procedures involve the AGC in some way, and that's the one with the most cryptic procedures and displays.

I'm thinking that a text format for that would serve as a better reference in the future than a video.

bcirka

Reaction score
So I've been working my way through Apollo 8 and am about 4:30:00 GET in. Everything going well so far after a bit of research, and then "bam" - P23 Cislunar Navigation. I'm lost, even after reading up on it a bit.

Think you could add that to your list of videos? I'm stuck until I can get past it.

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Eh, scratch that. I figured it out after playing around a bit more. If you let the autopilot aim & mark there's a bit of drift in it which causes the accuracy to be out of range.