News Leonard Nimoy dies at 83

E

ex-orbinaut

Sad to see him go, grew up with him.

N.

This is a shock, I didn't know he was unwell, nor how old he was. Me and my friends all grew up with him on Star Trek, and he was in a few good movies, too, like Invasion of teh Body Snatchers (70s version) and an adaptation of Huxley's Brave New World. RIP.

(Also, he was the REAL Spock, to quote Sheldon Cooper, "Live long and suck it, Zachary Quinto!")

Thank you Leonard, for your talent, your humor, and that wonderful voice...those of us who grew up with you will remember you always.

:ditto: I really cannot express any sentiment regarding any better than this.

RIP Leonard Nimoy.

There's a petition up on change.org to get the IAU to name a star after Leonard Nimoy. I signed without hesitation.
https://www.change.org/p/nasa-name-a-star-after-leonard-nimoy

For Nimoy's Star. Done.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am greatly saddened by this. Spock was an early role-model for me - always thoughtful, constantly observing and attempting to mentally unravel concepts and situations.

Outside of that particularly famous role, the man was a fine actor, and his voice was immediately recognisable in whatever narration it appeared in.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh yes, how could I forget, In Search Of, one of my favorite shows to watch with my dad when I little!

In fact a coupld of weeks ago at work I was telling my friends that they should bring the show back, but only if Nimoy hosts it again...:(

In the days before Mythbusters and stupid reality shows, this was we watched to get creeped out and make us think.

You can hear his voice at 1:40.

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Also, I'll say this: In the phenomenal disaster of a film that was Star Trek V, the one bright spot was near the climactic scene when Spock calls the alien on his BS and asks, "What does a god need with a starship?" That was classic Spock.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
William Shatner retweeted this picture today:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Shatner spoke there as if Nimoy had already passed. If that was actually 2 days before he died then Shatner must've been convinced he wasn't going to make it.

I thought the same. Incidentally, I had heard earlier in the week he had been admitted to the hospital. Sadly, when I heard that news, I brushed it off thinking he was in good health and would likely be released soon. I had no idea the severity of his illness.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
We have lost a truly great actor and human being. Hopefully even in death, he will continue to inspire generations of people of all backgrounds to never stop reaching outward and upward. Rest in Peace.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I feel some reference to Spock's death scene in Wrath of Khan ought to be made, but I don't recall the movie well enough to know what would be appropriate.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
"He's not really dead. As long as we remember him" -Dr. McCoy