Landsat Earth for Orbiter (LEO)

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I work in a x86_64 Linux every day, and I'd like to help, but only 6 GiB of RAM and 30 GB of free disk space don't really qualify my system for the job. :p

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, you have to differ between Orbiter and KSP in one very important aspect: Orbiter uses a real solar system (our own) with real topography.

KSP uses a fictional (but inspired on our own) solar system, that has fictive topography.

That makes it easier to use procedural terrain, since it is its own reference.

Would you recognize Olympus Mons, if it is made by procedural terrain?
I'll use an Internet meme for this: "Why not both? "
Why not use real data, and use some sort of "procedural refinement" for low-detailed areas or ones that are not at all based on the the color map? I think it is a good balance between real and procedural data. Of course it will be made externally or before simulation.

Question about the graphics: how will terrain be graphically implemented? I guess tessellation is not a feature on DX7, but is there a Level of Detail feature that reduces the terrain vertices with distance?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Still hoping someone 'ports' this so I can help out. (Thanksgiving and/or Winter Break project? :hmm:)

Sword7

Reaction score
Where are Landsat 7/8 dataset for downloads?

Folks,

Does anyone know where LandSAT 7/8 files are for downloading? I was googling for that but can't find any source to download raw GeoTIFF files.

I am interested to learning and trying make global terrain in both infrared color and natural color modes.

Also does anyone know any global elevation STRM files to download (30-meter and 1-meter)?

Thanks,
Tim