sense offender
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hope this would be usefull.
2000-07-41.gif

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Dude! That is sweet looking! Are the antenna animated or static? Either way, doesn't matter it still looks great.

They are static, Astronautix told me that they are similar to the ones installed on Sputnik I.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well, I've been delayed by real life again, but I'm sneaking some time in when I can.
I believe I'm pretty well finished with the first stage. After looking at my picture though I can see I've still not added the rudders.
Stage1_in_Anim8tor.jpg

I was feeling a little impatient, and wanted to see it "in game". Need to flip visible sides on a few objects, but I'm basically happy with it.
Stage_1_on_pad.jpg

Woke up at 3:30 AM and couldn't get back to sleep. So... Managed to work a bit more on stage 2. The Aux fuel tanks are installed, and I still need to work on the fiddly-bits associated with the verneirs, but it's getting there.
Stage2_in_Anim8tor.jpg

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
For today's early morning work... I'm starting to get the hang of texture mapping for simple things like this. It seems I was making it more complicated than it had to be.

Here's what little I managed to accomplish, but it seems to 'show-off' the aux tanks nicely.

Stage2_redux.jpg

Does anyone have a really good Orbiter Forum and/or Orbiter logo with a white background? User logos will be located on the fairing just like Energia-M.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I only thought I had the first stage finished... I went to mesh wizard to flip 'visible side' on a few groups and I when I generate normals for them I got a "runtime error - 380 property value" and it quits (mesh wizard that is, it CTDs). I tried this several times with the same results.

I even went back and re-did those portions of the mesh in anim8tor with no joy.

Can anyone give me guidance about how to edit the mesh file by hand to flip visible side/generate normals for a particular group?

---------- Post added 03-12-12 at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-11-12 at 01:19 PM ----------

More or less finished with the first stage. I still don't know what I was doing wrong with "generate normals" with mesh wizard, but whatever it was, I'm past it. I got it into Orbiter and the texture was all wonky (upside-down, backwards and wrapped around itself), so I've got to work on it still, but as far as the mesh, I'm not risking screwing it up any in order to tweak it more. So, here is finished product.

Cosmos_WIP_31.jpg

Paint it grey, stick a warhead under a fairing and you've got the R-14 IRBM (which I might add in later, don't know).

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
After much editing of texture, accompanied by an occasional bout of gnashing of teeth with some blue language thrown in for good measure, the 1st stage is pretty much ready.

I may add an antenna or something, maybe...

Kosmo-1.jpg

Here she is sitting on one of BrianJ's Delta II launch pads. I figured it would fit.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
slow progression, but...

I managed to sneak some time in to work a bit more on this. I had "developer's block" I suppose. With summer starting, I'm pretty sure I can dedicate more time to this. Onward and upward...

I need to work on the textures for the fairing a bit, add some detail (rivets or something...) and maybe some blade antenna for the second stage. The payload platform will be next (I also need the pushrod ass'y for the 2nd stage aux engines). It's still coarse and several things need to be done, but I'm starting to be somewhat pleased with the results.

I've got some work on the documentation finished as well. That (and guidance files) seems to be my biggest hurdle. Some of these Soviet era projects don't exactly have a whole lot of reference material (that I can read anyway...), but I have enough for a 1 page "short history of..." introduction. Problem is, it's on my computer at work.

For now though....

stg_2_and_fairing.jpg

I'll make the nosecone and second stage textures available for customization, just like I did the -M.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
A short history of...

I thought I'd go ahead and let this fly. If any of our Russian Orbinaut friends see any glaring errors, please point them out to me and I'll fix them to the best of my ability :cheers:

The Cosmos (Kosmos) family of rockets began as the R-14 intermediate range ballistic missile. Envisioned as a successor to the R-12 in 1955, testing of the R-14 began at Kapustin Yar in 1960, and was brought into service nearly a year later, thus beginning a long history of service to the Soviet Union, later the Russian Federation, finally providing commercial launch services to corporations around the world.

In 1962 a shipment of R-14 missiles were loaded aboard a cargo ship bound for Cuba to join the group of R-12’s already deployed on the island. Thankfully the situation now known as the “Cuban Missile Crisis” was defused, and under the watchful eyes of the United States, all ballistic missiles were removed from Cuba. The R-14 missile was however deployed to the Ukraine and Latvia as part of the nuclear missile fleet of the USSR.

With the addition of a second stage, she found new life as a viable and valuable space launch system. Now known as the Kosmos (Cosmos) rocket, it has been modified at least eight times, culminating with is the 3M series here represented (with the exception of the flared payload fairing).

Cosmos rockets launched from Kapustan Yar were instrumental in the development of the Soviet missile detection system. They also provided technical data that would later be used on the Buran shuttle. In 1982, an Australian P-3 Orion observed a Soviet ship recovering an object from the waters of the Indian Ocean. That object was later discovered to be the BOR-4 flight vehicle which was being used to test the thermal protection system later used on Buran (that same BOR-4 later became the inspiration for the American HL-20 and Sierra Nevada’s Dreamchaser).

Although construction of the Cosmos rocket ceased in 1995 there still remained a sizable inventory. Enough so that continued operations of the Cosmos rocket system came to be the world’s third most used space launcher; following the venerable Russian R-7 and the American Thor/Delta rockets, reaching an incredible 97.5% success rate over 750 launches. PO Polyot, (the manufacturer of the Cosmos) expressed a desire to continue with construction, further modifications and upgrades, but the environmental concerns regarding the toxic fuel used, and the desire to used only “clean” rocket fuels by 2015, effectively killed the program.

Despite an exemplary launch history, the Cosmos was not operated without incident. In July of 1973, at the Plesetsk launch complex, following a scrub of a launch event the rocket exploded on the launch pad, killing nine members of the ground crew.*

Slated to be replaced by the Angara rocket in 2014, two Cosmos rockets remain in the inventory. It has been expressed by officials in the Russian Space Program that it is their desire to use both these rockets, thus concluding the program and closing the books on one of the world’s most successful launch systems.

*There are several references to a second event, also killing nine members of the ground crew in 1976. But as of this writing I am unable to locate any details.

Last edited:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Any news for updates? I might be able to help developing if you have any schedule problems. :cheers:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'm on a 12 hour day/six day work week for the next few weeks. Once our refueling outage is over I sould be able to settle down and finish this.

I've discovered that the last 10% of work involved takes longer than the first 90%... At least in my case.

Once I get it into a somewhat good condition, I'll send you a link to a "beta" release. It was, after all, your idea that got me started on it. If I had to guess I'd say . . . early to mid November. I've got a week scheduled off, and I should be able to finish it up then.

I was thinking about a multi-stage and velcro versions. If you know velcro pretty well maybe we coulf tag-team that section? :cheers:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I agree, I've got to work on my rocket building as soon as our outage is over.
After seeing all this rocket has done, it's earned the "workhorse" moniker that GalacticPenguin used when he first suggested the add-on.

It's in the works, the outage has gone on longer than planned, but I'm still piddling around with the development. It's just slow going. Expect more screen captures come mid-November :thumbup:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Finally! The outage is over and I can get back to fake-work (instead of the real-work stuff that gets in the way so often).

When I got my new computer, it would seem that I misplaced several things. Most of it is textures and some mesh work. But I'm rebuilding quickly.

Here is a look at the equipment bay and the payload adapter. The texture isn't equally applied yet. Taking a look at the documentation that I've gotten, it could take quite a bit of time to put all the fiddly-bits here, but I think the end result would be too crowded and busy looking. I'm tempted just to leave it like this (only with gold foil over everything).

AvBay.jpg

Alrighty then, prior to going to bed, I tweaked just a bit. I'll probably leave it (the front end here) alone.

EquipBay.jpg

Last edited:

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
My opinion is that there is not too much point to getting very detailed on the bay just yet. Perhaps once OVP matures and you can use more effects (Moar Maps!) It will be worth it yet for now in my opinion a good Velcro DLL adaption and payloads would be a better use of your time.