Killing linear movement with thrusters

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
I'm currently attempting to align myself over a pad on the moon in the DG. Whenever I finally get the DIST and the HSPD to 0.00, it remains there for a moment then flickers back and forth to 0.03 and starts moving back after a few seconds. What am I doing wrong?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The Moon is rotating beneath you, so if you sit still for too long a relative velocity will build up. Also, you have to be absolutely level or your hover jets will move you. You may just have to use your lin RCS jets to keep you centered until you touch down on the pad. Then cut your engines and apply wheel brakes (the "<" and ">" keys for the DG).

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also, don't forget to turn off all autopilots, such as the HLVL, after you touch down and stop rolling, or else your thrusters will keep making tiny pulses and you won't come to a complete rest, so your tanks won't refuel.

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
I had it for about ten seconds but forgot to turn off HLVL and messed it up. D:

Regardless of my mistakes, thanks for the help. At least I know I can do it now! :D

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, I always leave HLVL on until after I touch down, but whatever you feel is easiest.

Tommy

Reaction score
I find it helps to be pointed due east when landing on the moon. That way most of the variance is on one axis (fore - aft) and easier to deal with.