Problem Kill Rotation autopilot alway on

lonny

Reaction score
Unfortunately I’m having a rotation problem. I love this simulator, and I don’t want to give it up. It is pretty much unplayable the way it is. I hope someone might be able to lead me in the right direction.

Vessels I fly act like the Kill Rotation autopilot is engaged when I try to use rotational thrusters or one of the autopilots (Prograde, Orbit Normal+, ect.). I hear and see thrusters firing when I press a thrust key or if I engage an autopilot, but there is no effect on the vessel other than it fighting the kilrot. All this time, the Kill Rotation light is not on, nor have I engaged it. All the thrusters work fine in translation mode. I’ve found out that this problem is intermittent and happens with all vessels. Sometimes when I start a scenario the problem is there, sometimes it’s not. Sometimes it is fine at the start of the scenario, but then appears.

I thought it might be my keyboard, so I replaced it with a new one. Unfortunately this didn’t fix the problem. Keypad 5 is not stuck on in anyway. My keypad is fully functional outside the simulator. A joystick is not enabled. My number lock is on. The only add-ons I have installed are Sound 3.5 and the Delta Glider IV-2.

I completely deleted Orbiter 2010 and reinstalled it from scratch. Even with a clean installation the problem returned. I then completely deleted Orbiter 2010 again and installed Orbiter 2006. The problem happens with that version as well, so it must be a setting or something on my computer. I don’t have a clue where to look. I hope one of you do.

If anyone can help me out with this, I’ll be eternally grateful.

Last edited:

craigh

Reaction score
Hate to say it but I'm having the Killrot problem too. It's on whenever I use Rotational (Not Translation) Number Pad, Prograde/RetroGrade, Horiz level. Deleted my 2010 install, did a fresh download and reinstall.

I'll have to run through and see what I've added on already (like a dummy I installed a bunch of popular MFD's and Ravenstar, that new Realistic Earth. Only installed the L14 Earth and similar moon over the planets. Have UMMU and UCGO. Spacecraft 3 and multistage.

Will do another install with greated controls this weekend to try narrowing it down.

Craigh

cjb

Reaction score
I too have this problem - I have a fresh install of 2010 (on XP) with no add-ons.

Like the OP, if I fire the RCS on a DG in orbit, I see only the correct thrusters firing, but the craft just sporadically and slowly rotates (as one would expect if 'Kill Rot' was on). Frame rates stay in the high 80's, so it is does not seem to be machine speed related.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

lonny

Reaction score
I’m grasping at straws here. I’ve tried everything I can think of to alleviate this kilrot problem. Surely there are brighter minds out there than me. Please help if you can. Do you think this is a software or hardware problem? If this problem was happing you, and you couldn’t use the program, where would you look? In the Config files? Video card? Somewhere else? Please help!

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I really don't know...have you tried with another keyboard?
The fact that the Killrot button seems not activated makes me kinda doubt it's such a problem though...still worth a try.

Hasso

Reaction score
This happened to me yesterday:

When i came back from mars (extensive testing of IMFD and aerobrake), i decided to refuel at brighton beach. The Arrow has taken almost one half of its fuel.
After refueling i used AutoHover to climb about 100m before engaging full main thrust until vertical speed grows without hover assist. Near apoapsis i wanted to circularize my orbit by IMFD-Orbital-cir, but nothing happens! So i tried to orient prograde manually for a manual burn. But now i couldn't get any response from my thrusters. No rotation, no translation. NumLock checked. Strange!

I exited to check the Current-State-Scenario. The reason for not working IMFD seemed to be that the hoverthrust was not absolute zero (my fault to set just the AutoHover off without controlling that).

After restarting the current-state everything works fine.

I tried to reproduce the same with stock-DG, but without success so far.

Last edited:

lonny

Reaction score
Yes this is definitely a weird bug on my computer. I’ve exchanged my keyboard with two others and checked the connection. This didn’t alleviate the rotation problem.

I’ve found out some scenario’s are immune to the problem. For instance, if I run “Smack!” in the Delta Glider folder, the problem is there (most of the time). If I run “Brighton Beach” in the same folder, the problem is non-existent. There are other scenario’s where the problem never shows up. Interestingly, they are scenario’s where the vessel I want to pilot start out on the surface of a planet. i.e. Brighton Beach, Habana Spaceport, Cape Canaveral, ect. A least I can get some stick time in…

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes this is definitely a weird bug on my computer. I’ve exchanged my keyboard with two others and checked the connection. This didn’t alleviate the rotation problem.

I’ve found out some scenario’s are immune to the problem. For instance, if I run “Smack!” in the Delta Glider folder, the problem is there (most of the time). If I run “Brighton Beach” in the same folder, the problem is non-existent. There are other scenario’s where the problem never shows up. Interestingly, they are scenario’s where the vessel I want to pilot start out on the surface of a planet. i.e. Brighton Beach, Habana Spaceport, Cape Canaveral, ect. A least I can get some stick time in…
Is there a reason that you use a different color in every single one of your posts? Some users have different-colored forum skins, and if you use a very pale color for your text it might not show up for them. Just use the default text color (hit the "Remove Text Formatting" button in the upper-left of the reply area)

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Just to emphasise the point... Black skin + black text = annoyance.

lonny

Reaction score
Im sorry about the text color changes. I thought I was doing the right thing. Thanks for the advice. I'll take it.