OHM Jarvis 3.0 Dll Version - Final Beta

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: fred18

After a very long work, the project is finally under its final development.

This is the final Beta of the Jarvis Launcher entirely developed in .dll

Thanks to the help and collaboration of Forum Orbiter Italia (FOI) this project became reality and finally can take off.

Features:

- All Jarvis rockets entirely rebuilt in dll
- An extremely precise launch autopilot with a working multistage PEG algorithm, inspired directly by modern launch technologies. Users will need only to input desired absides and inclination and the guidance computer will do the rest.
- Complete set of launchpads, rebuilt in dll as well, with effects and animations driven by the rocket control computer. The launch scenery is automatically created by adding a simple line in the launch scenario
- Venting valves effects
- Stage separation ullage and retrofire effects on every stage of every Jarvis
- Payload management through an easy .ini file, similar to Multistage2 to be user friendly with everybody
- Customizable Accelerations Limits
- Possibility of thermal control of payload through rolling rotation during ascent
- Fairings and adapters easily customizable
- HUD information display
- Dialog windows with Mission Control Center messages, Countdown situation, Launch window, Altitude and Velocity
- Failure simulation with configurable probability, including pre-launch failures, countdown stops and in flight problems up to rocket explosion effect
- Built-in compatibility with Antares Manned Spacecraft
- Bonus Delphinus mini spaceplane ship!
- For Antares and Delphinus LES fully functional!
- Dynamic particle stream with the effect of the growing stream behind the rocket as happens in reality

Required Addon:

- Jarvis Heavy Launch Vehicle - Multistage Version

http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4527

For Capo Passero Scenarios:

- ASVI Base - Capo Passero 2.01

http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5172

For Antares Scenarios

- Antares Manned Spacecraft

http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4682

A brief document which explains all the controls of the rockets is included. 

Thanks to FOI for the help and for letting me work on their wonderful Jarvis rocket!

Thanks to dr Martin Schweiger for Orbiter!

Have fun and good liftoff to every one!

Fred18

DOWNLOAD

Mantis

Reaction score
Fantastic! I can't say enough good things about the incredible work you guys over at FOI are doing. Amazing set of vehicles.

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
Excellent work! Even on this old computer the autopilot is very precise, coming very close to the desired parameters despite frame rates stuck below 10fps for most of the ascent. I do have a suggestion: could it be possible to set the camera point in the ini file? The way it is now I'm looking up from somewhere in the second stage, having part of the launch tower with a smoke effect in view while on the pad, and viewing the payload on the way up to orbit. Being able to move the camera higher would help me get a few more frames, and would be welcomed.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes it could be an option! Thank you for your suggestion!

Anyway did you try the LOWRES mode to save some fps in low computers?

WolfAngriff

The NSEU (Never Satisfied End User)
Reaction score
Hi !

I realy like the "near-Tech" add-ons, and this one is realy wonderful ! With all the "kit" (Antares, Neptune 1, a.s.o.), it's all your space programm you can conduct yourself. Thanx a lot, jarvis was good, now it's nearly the best. I just have to learn how to put my payload on the top on the "JLV" ^^ ! I know, it's in the doc, as other add-ons, and i hope i'll be able to know what is the ridiculous mistake i repeat again and again... :rofl:

One thing i've noticed : when the launcher pitch down or up, before MECO, it shakes when the RCS are on. Not too bad, AP is precise enough, just a visual effect.

Thank you Fred18 !

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hello fred18,I am getting a CTD at the seperation of the LR in the scenario Bounus/Jarvis M w ANTARES at Capo Passero_OK,disregard this comment,I reinstalled it,and it works now,sorry about that.:facepalm:

Last edited:

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanx a lot, jarvis was good, now it's nearly the best. I just have to learn how to put my payload on the top on the "JLV" ^^ !

I know, it's in the doc, as other add-ons, and i hope i'll be able to know what is the ridiculous mistake i repeat again and again... :rofl:

Thank you! What mistake do you do?:huh:

One thing i've noticed : when the launcher pitch down or up, before MECO, it shakes when the RCS are on. Not too bad, AP is precise enough, just a visual effect.

a bit of RCS willing to up and down in the very last second, but I think it's negligible, thank you anyway! :tiphat:

OK,disregard this comment,I reinstalled it,and it works now,sorry about that.

No problem, I'm glad there's no problem there :thumbup:

malisle

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thank you for the excellent work, there is a lot of us who really appreciate it. Keep at it :cheers:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Working properly here! My workload for launching things into space has lessened up quite a bit as Jarvis have seen quite a lot of missions in my aerospace company! :thumbup:

(anxiously waiting for the new versions of Neptune and Quasar....)

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
It's magnificent. The charring on the sides at booster sep. is a nice touch.

Is it possible to create a Jarvis super heavy, as in cryogenic stage of Jarvis M but solid boosters of Jarvis H?

Last edited:

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Great rocket! As the others I really like the work on the exhaust streams.

I've got a bug, though. I launched from KSC and changed the target orbital elements to Ap=200, Pe=200 and manually typed in a inclination of 28.542 degrees. In the beginning of the ascent, everything seemed normal, but the rocket slowly yawed to the left, until it in the end of the launch phase was at a yaw of only 7 degrees. At the most extreme, the inclination was 27.8 degrees. The inclination slowly increased againg. The second stage separated, and after some time, the third stage reached some sort of MECO, only that the orbit had a Pe=-43 km, Ap=443 km and Inc=28.51.
I would guess it happens in all scenarios, but I only used the "Jarvis Missions"-->"Commercial"-->"Jarvis C - Commercial Launch" scenario.

I will also ask for some improvements:
First, I would ask you if you could change the fairing button from F to something else, as checking the frame rate causes the fairing to separate. An alternative button could be Ctrl+F, for example.
Second, when you have a hold in the launch, could you at "unhold" set the time warp to 1 if it's not? When you have a hold at T-20 seconds, the user would in most cases warp time, and then it would be great for the module to set the warp to 1 again so that you don't miss the launch.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Is it possible to create a Jarvis super heavy, as in cryogenic stage of Jarvis M but solid boosters of Jarvis H?

Well, the Jarvis rocketry design part is up to FOI, of course it is possible but I think we should hear their opinion on this. I think anyway that JM has already more weight capability of JH, I'll check the documentation again

I've got a bug, though. I launched from KSC and changed the target orbital elements to Ap=200, Pe=200 and manually typed in a inclination of 28.542 degrees. In the beginning of the ascent, everything seemed normal, but the rocket slowly yawed to the left, until it in the end of the launch phase was at a yaw of only 7 degrees. At the most extreme, the inclination was 27.8 degrees. The inclination slowly increased againg. The second stage separated, and after some time, the third stage reached some sort of MECO, only that the orbit had a Pe=-43 km, Ap=443 km and Inc=28.51.
I would guess it happens in all scenarios, but I only used the "Jarvis Missions"-->"Commercial"-->"Jarvis C - Commercial Launch" scenario.

:hide:

you have found the only known bug of the system, I thought it was very well hidden but maybe not enough. I'll tell you why this happens:

to achieve the desired inclination with great precision the guidance computer check not only pitch and roll but also yaw and heading continuosly during ascent, computing the required heading second by second.

The equation that lead to this has an amibiguity for launch azimuth = 90°, so I had to force the solution for that. The only field of amibguity that remains is for inclination angles which leads to launch azmiuth very very close to 90° (talking about 10e-3 degree). The default inclination for that launch is 28.5419, so if you put 28.542 you insert a value that is 0.0001 degree higher than the latitude, which leads to a azimuth of 89.999 or 90.001 or something like that, leading to the amibguity. Try not to put the inclination manually or to put 0 (if you put a value lower than the latitude the Jarvis Guidance Computer will choose the value automatically)

I will hardly fix this issue in the future release, I just hoped that no one was using a 0.0001 inclination difference :lol:

I will also ask for some improvements:
First, I would ask you if you could change the fairing button from F to something else, as checking the frame rate causes the fairing to separate. An alternative button could be Ctrl+F, for example.
Second, when you have a hold in the launch, could you at "unhold" set the time warp to 1 if it's not? When you have a hold at T-20 seconds, the user would in most cases warp time, and then it would be great for the module to set the warp to 1 again so that you don't miss the launch.

For the fairings I used the same key of Multistage2 by vinka in order to be user friendly. To avoid FPS show problem I changed the key for FPS showing to Y in my orbiter and it works perfectly because there is no conflict with any other command commonly used with that key.

For the time warp noted, that's a good suggestion! :tiphat:

Thank you for the feedbacks guys, everything is so useful!!!

:cheers:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Excelent job guys! Really impresive!

I do have a strange problem though. Every payload I launch (the payloads the comes with the add-on) us released with the following configuration:

Code:
Delphinus:spacecraft/spacecraft3
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  RPOS 1.#R 1.#R 1.#R
  RVEL 1.#QO 1.#QO 1.#QO
  AROT 0.00 -0.00 0.00
  VROT 0.00 0.00 18000.00
  AFCMODE 7
  NAVFREQ 0 0
  RCS 1
  CTRL_SURFACE 1
  CONFIGURATION 1
  CURRENT_PAYLOAD 0
END

Shouldn't the spacecraft/spacecraft3 read Spacecraft\Spacecraft3?

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Excelent job guys! Really impresive!

I do have a strange problem though. Every payload I launch (the payloads the comes with the add-on) us released with the following configuration:

Code:
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  RPOS 1.#R 1.#R 1.#R
  RVEL 1.#QO 1.#QO 1.#QO
  AROT 0.00 -0.00 0.00
  VROT 0.00 0.00 18000.00
  AFCMODE 7
  NAVFREQ 0 0
  RCS 1
  CTRL_SURFACE 1
  CONFIGURATION 1
  CURRENT_PAYLOAD 0
END

Shouldn't the spacecraft/spacecraft3 read Spacecraft\Spacecraft3?

:blink:

I have no idea of what are those undefined values...

you say that this happens with EVERY payload you release? you mean release on orbit?

Anyway the spacecraft3 reading is correct, what is wrong with that?

here is what I get when I release the delphinus:

Code:
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  RPOS 3671230.45 1595589.12 5273916.60
  RVEL -4719.266 -4159.126 4543.956
  AROT -27.88 23.35 51.78
  AFCMODE 7
  PRPLEVEL 0:1.000000
  NAVFREQ 0 0
  RCS 1
  CTRL_SURFACE 1
  CONFIGURATION 1
  CURRENT_PAYLOAD 0
  SEQ 0 -2 0.000000
  SEQ 4 -2 0.000000
  SEQ 5 -2 0.000000
  SEQ 6 -2 0.000000
  SEQ 7 -2 0.000000
  SEQ 8 -2 0.000000
  SEQ 9 -2 0.000000
END

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
This is indeed what happens when I jettison the payload when I've reached orbit. This happens with every payload that comes with the package. I also don't see the mesh during the launch. If we take the commercial scenario for example, I do see the payload meshes during the launch phase, but they disappear as soon as I jettison them.

Of course I've reinstalled the package several times already. I must note that I've just reinstalled windows and that I'm running the latest graphics client. Since the payloads are spacecraft3 add-ons, I don't expect that's a problem.

:cheers:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4840"]Quasar Super Heavy Launch Vehicle 2.52[/ame]
For all your really, really, really heavy launch needs (also by the FOI team).
Not .dll'd yet, but I'd be willing to bet a cool carbonated beverage that it's in the queue.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Of course I've reinstalled the package several times already. I must note that I've just reinstalled windows and that I'm running the latest graphics client. Since the payloads are spacecraft3 add-ons, I don't expect that's a problem.

Hmmmm... and did you re installed spacecraft3 by vinka properly when you reinstalled windows? because my unerstanding is that you have a problem with spacecraft3 more than jarvis