C++ Question Installing Microsoft Visual C++

Scattykat

Reaction score
I hope this is the right area to raise my problem ....

I've been trying to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express to no avail. I get the message:
Error caused during setup:
Setup could not install the following component: VC 9.0 runtime (x86)

I tried installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) to no effect either. This time I get an error code 1935

My PC operating system has the following specs:
Win 7 Home premium 64-bit

I see there is a discrepancy in that the installer wants to go x86 but I don't know how to make it install x64 - or should I even need to consider this????

This is really frustrating because I want to start learning C++ so I can modify the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3905"]Neesys modules[/ame] to be UMMU compatible.

Is there a better c++ software programme to use?

Any advice will be muchly appreciated...
Thank you

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I see there is a discrepancy in that the installer wants to go x86 but I don't know how to make it install x64 - or should I even need to consider this????
There is no discrepancy. Visual Studio is 32-bit application and there is no 64-bit version of it available as of VC++/VS2010, so it needs to use 32-bit version of runtime libraries to make you able to use it. However it can be surely used to produce 64-bit code too. Besides, you will be only producing 32-bit code for Orbiter, as Orbiter is 32-bit.

I tried installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) to no effect either. This time I get an error code 1935
This says that the redistributable package can't install libraries to WinSxS directory of your Windows because of something. There's instruction what you can do (it's for VC++2005, but the same applies to VC++2008). You can try that. Do you have automatic updates enabled in Windows?

Scattykat

Reaction score
Hi Orb,

Thank you for the link to the instructions of what to do - I will try those recommendations. With regard to windows updates, my settings are for notifying me of updates and I choose whether or not to download them and install them - this should be ok?

Thanks