Idea importing models from Google Sketch-up to Orbiter, namely the NOSTROMO

cmoon55

Reaction score
Hi all, I've managed to import the mesh of the Nostromo from Google Sketch-up into Orbiter, rigged a cfg etc... but she needs materials tweeking and textures (those are more complicated and beyond me as of yet)

Before releasing her to the world I want feed-back on etiquit regarding the use of anothers model. I plan full credits, but it looks like I'll have to do a little sluthing to contact the author as there seems not to be any forum or messaging options for Sketch-up. It seems these models (and there are TONS of them) are free to download and use provided there is no commercial aspect. Which in this case there is not.

Anyway, I'd love help / advice on how to the materials and original textures back together and help in adding a proper set of animated landing gear.

Ideas, suggestions feed-back? All comments , brainstorming are most welcome as this is the purpose of this thread / post.

Chris:cheers:

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Look around the Sketch-up page that contains the model in question. Many times you will find a link to the artist's website or other contact info (I've done this several times to obtain permission for converting someone else's models into Orbiter).

If there's no contact info, you have two options...abandon the conversion unless/until you can contact the original artist, or use it with proper credit given. Be aware that if the original artist takes exception to your use of their model, they may contact you, or they may have it pulled from OH (if you upload it), which is their right.

cmoon55

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Saturn V. I'll do just that. I promarily plan to use the conversion privately, but if it turns out well I'd like to share with the rest of the community. The conversion process, due to my newness, has meant I've had to do a whole bunch of kitbashing to fix scaling issues that bugged-in during the export from Blender to Animator. For some wacked reason the 3ds converter won't work on my computer, or I just don't know how. So I've dpne the following...

1. Download from Sketch-up to dae file
2. import into blender
3. check mesh fix any issues.
4. export as .obj file
5. load into anim8or (this is where sections like naccelles and landing gear get displaced and scaled way out of proportion, hense the tinkering in anim8tor to fix)
6. save as anim8or file.
7. reload and export as mesh file
8. load into orbiter with cfg and textures etc...

I'm still 're-assebling in anim8or right now, rescaling and repositioning the nacelles and gear. It took some engineering since the export reverted them to a single mesh which I had to cut apart and mirror to have a full set of pieces. I wonder if there is a simple fix, but I'll just keep learning by doing and re-reading all the tutorials I can.

I'll let you know when and if I get permission to release this kitbash.

Cheers

Jamesep3

Reaction score
there has to be an easier way right?:idk: If not can some one try and make one. I use sketch-up and I'm confused as to why there is none already (that I've found).:uhh:

Roadware

Reaction score
Website
www.weuntangle.com
... So I've dpne the following...

1. Download from Sketch-up to dae file
2. import into blender
3. check mesh fix any issues.
4. export as .obj file
5. load into anim8or (this is where sections like naccelles and landing gear get displaced and scaled way out of proportion, hense the tinkering in anim8tor to fix)
6. save as anim8or file.
7. reload and export as mesh file
8. load into orbiter with cfg and textures etc...

I'm still 're-assebling in anim8or right now, rescaling and repositioning the nacelles and gear. ...

In my model the nacelles and landing gear were built separately and then merged together in one model, they were rescaled in the process. My guess as to why the scaling issues in conversion. I have decided to rework the model to make it more portable (better conversion). Included will be better skinning.

Another thought on conversion would be to export to Kerkythia xml format and then use this application to convert to obj file:

http://www.nicetuna.com/kt2obj

I seem to have better success in exporting Sketchup files to Kerkythia rather than Blender. (There is a plugin for direct Kerkythia conversion from within Sketchup.) If you have the pro version of Sketchup you get more export options as well.

http://www.kerkythea.net/joomla/

I have not attempted this conversion as of yet. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

Jamesep3

Reaction score
I have found a goodish converter. If you are ok about loosing all your textures in the process. It's in german I don't know If thats going to be a problem. It converts sketch up to a 3ds model which can then be converted to a mesh. It's not perfect and sometimes it gets things wronge but it is usefull.:rolleyes:

cmoon55

Reaction score
progress report on the Nostromo

Hi everyone,

Roadware contacted me today. I've been away on vacation and had not checked this thread in a while, although I've been tinkering along. I'm very glad Roadware did send me a message when he noticed my avatar is in fact based on his model.

I think I will wait to see what progress he makes with fixing the recent 'skin' issues. Namely the fact that the normals for many of the faces are out of sync and I've been finding the process of trying to re-sync them in anim8or more than a little tedious and more than a little frustrating. But I LOVE this model almost as much as he does and I eagerly await his results.

I'd be happy with a static model to start, but of course it would be sooo cool to find some way to animate the landing gear / struts, articulating the pistons and joints in the 'toes' etc. No idea how hard that would be so I will wait and see for now.

In the mean-time I'm thinking about creating a system add-on of the LV426 system from the first two movies. I've found jpegs of the o
original textures used in the first film. Modelling planets and systems is more within my ability level for now.:cheers::thumbup:

All:hail:Roadware, and welcome him to Orbiter!

---------- Post added at 05:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 AM ----------

yup thats the one all right...

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hehe maybe the simpler way is to recruit the authors of these models in Orbiter :lol:

And by the way convert them to the Way of the :probe:

Roadware

Reaction score
Website
www.weuntangle.com
Alright folks, here we go, I have corrected the normals and have also converted the whole thing into an .obj file to avoid the conversion issues.

I took a quick peek at it in Anim8tor, and it looks good so far. cmoon55, see what you can do with it. I imagine if we want to fly this thing we will need to pare down the model extensively. Oh and wouldn't a model of the flight deck be cool? (I'm working on that too...)

ZIP file includes textures: http://www.cowandgator.com/nostromo.zip

if you want to see it in sketchup or do the conversion yourself you can follow the Sketchup warehouse link posted earlier.

Gift for cmoon: http://www.cowandgator.com/Nostromo1.jpg for all his kind words.:cheers:

Steve S.

cmoon55

Reaction score
Great work!

Looks good to me. The trick to getting her into an orbiter mesh format is to hack the single obj / anim8or mesh into several smaller meshes which are re-positioned to match the original. I think this is also neccessary if we ever want to animate any of her components. Usually I find that I have to export an anim8or mesh to 3ds, save it, re-import the 3ds version then export once more as an orbiter mesh, otherwise the mesh doesn't seem to load. maybe there's a better way but this works for me. The problem with Nostromo as a single mesh is that she's way too huge and the exporter to 3ds won't accept a mesh that large. I just tried skipping the 3ds route and I didn't get anything in my orbiter sim, so I'm going to get some coffee and my hack-saw:thumbup: BTW could you double check the hose at the base of the ventral pylon, and the ribbing on the aft of same said pylon as well as several booster nozzels, they appear "Blue" when their faces are selected in Anim8or, which supposedly means they are "the back-side not the outward face we want.

I'm gonna try hacking and slashing without removing any details:tiphat:

Chris M.

PS thanks so much for the awsome pic I love it:cheers:

PPS here's a link to the version I was struggling with. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9722507/Nostromo.obj

:facepalm:

Last edited:

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org