If ever there was a movie like Orbiter...

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Some films just have to give you that sense of deja vu. And that's what makes them special.

It comes to mind that since I started playing Orbiter again - and seriously this time, my mindset on space had changed. It's no longer a land of fantasies and wanton freedom without bounds of responsibility.

I came here to re-learn what ambition and skill I lost to chasing papers and paychecks over the past decade or so, and bring them back in a way that I hope benefits more than just myself.

So if I were to pick a film that reminded me of what I thought about Orbiter, it would be something that depicts the harsh reality of space flight. The adrenalin of the initial boost from the first stage, the hectic orbital ascent cumulating in interception and docking, where everything suddenly seems magnified in speed and where minute control inputs go a big way.

Re-entry is where a single mistake can have severe consequences, and it's something which is entirely unpredictable nor could you really change the spaceship's course once it's plowing through the atmosphere in a ball of fire.

Space Cowboys, a film from an industry a decade ago, brings all these Orbiter memories into one two hour roller coaster ride. It may not be the most realistic space opera of them all, but it isn't as fanciful as Armageddon, which is as believable as an arcade game (the producers claim it's "achievable in present-day technology" to fly a space shuttle to the Moon? WTF?).

But what strikes me is the attention to detail in Space Cowboys. From the Shuttle's complex ascent profile to the way the valiant little attitude control thrusters work to change the spacecrafts' attitude, it's completely identical to what an Orbinaut experiences when we fire up the Launchpad and go into space.

220px-Space_cowboys_ver3.jpg

Sure, unlike the films' protagonists we will likely never experience such easy access to a space mission, but through Orbiter we too have our own 2 and a half hours of fame.

And if you ever doubted Orbiter is the perfect aerospace cinematic experience, just check out the Orbiter Videos Thread :) Don't be surprised, if you see we all want to be Space Cowboys in our own way!

So if you haven't got the chance to watch those old space films, download them and give them a chance! You'll be surprised how gritty and "realistic" all that attention to detail feels. These are arts of filmmaking and script writing, that are sadly lost to the movie producers of today.

They'll have you running around forests in giant blue skinned humanoids and portray humankind as villians. But I don't and will never believe in forgetting what challenges we have to face in everyday life - space exploration is the best thing we've got in the world and like the ambitions of a generation past, I believe in upholding that tradition - to sail forth and conquer the unknown frontier :)

Next on my to-watch list is another old space movie, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Running"]Silent Running[/ame]. We'll just have to see what I think of next, don't we?

Have a great weekend ahead, in the meantime. Hope to see you on the Orbiter Multiplayer server :)

Attachments

• orbiter 2011-01-02 20-40-19-45.jpg
    orbiter 2011-01-02 20-40-19-45.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 29

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
If we are talking Movies... STS-116 would make a great movie.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
I loved this movie. Ranks up there with Deep Impact and Apollo 13 IMO.

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
2001 A Space Oddessy reminds me of Orbiter. The sounds are on the inside type. So realistically, that film best represents Orbiter for me.

You'll like Silent Running, it's in my top Sci-Films list. Those domes... at this point I start to day dre.........

The new space movies today concentrate on gloss and I agree that they often fail to capture the realism. There's something missing from them that fails to catch my spirit, which is parramount as I want to there. Most of the recent films bored me, it was the external screen shots that made me sit and watch what I call, dribble. The only thing about the new films, is the advances in special effects, which are impressive.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Mission to Mars... That was funny for the large amount of mistakes made.

orbekler

Reaction score
From my point of view, "2001 Space Odyssey" was the most realistic space movie of all, and considered it was done in '68, I still wonder of FX... There were some small inaccuracies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_Space_Odyssey_(film)#Scientific_accuracy), but It was the first movie ever where couldn't hear sounds in space!!! Then follows "Apollo13", "From Earth to Moon"... "Space Cowboys", at the time didn't terribly liked it, but it touched me the last "Fly me to the moon" scene; for sure I'll see it again with new eyes, thanks to Orbiter.
"The Silent Running" (in Italy released as "2002 Space Odissey 2":rofl:) wasn't very realistic, but I really liked it, as well OST (the crystal voice of Joan Baez), that I bought (the original vynil).
Deep Impact - who knows, I never saw it - I don't like much disaster movies. Armageddon attracted me mostly because of Bruce Willis, but in mid-course movie I fell into deep sleep.:goodnight:
And for "Mission to Mars"... I got really annoyed, I almost wanted my money back. A pathetical cliché that leads to a ridiculous ending. :dynamite:There are many other films I wold like to talk about, but I'm going to abuse of this blog (however, take a look to my avatar...).

Last edited:

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Honestly, there was some kind of movie in several episodes called Race to Mars. I could hardly spot any mistakes, despite a lot of orbiteering...

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
If you need something to watch, may I suggest the anime Planetes, It has large bouts of realism, and is one of the best things I've watched in ages.