Idea: Orbiter for Xbox 360

thumper235

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I figured I would share my Idea and see if it is even worth pursuing. How would you all feel about having an orbiter program developed and posted on xbox 360's indie section?

I have given it some thought for some time now. Well as luck would have it, I recently had a discussion with some friends over dinner and I blurted the idea out to them. All three of my friends are programmers holding degrees in the field. They seemed very excited and pledged their support. I am more of a self taught programmer, but none the less it would be a massive team effort.

Now, nothing is written in stone on any which way to go with this potential project. But, I think it would be great to sit and relax on the couch and get my space flight on. I understand the limitations given to dev's in regards to xbox 360's (MS) indie program. I still think something cool could be parlayed out of this for the enjoyment of many.

I have not contacted the creator of orbiter yet, but I would like to in the very least keep it with the same flavor of orbiter, and if possible, have it setup for free use by all. I am not in this to make money, I am in it for the love of space.

Discuss.

mc_

Reaction score
Xbox (or PS3, etc) games are about "fun".
PC game is a "challenge". (in our days PC means PC-only)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Definitely not worth the effort. Why spend a large amount of time redoing Orbiter with an inadequate, limited interface for a console few Orbinauts even own, when there's almost never even complaints about the lack of Mac/Linux port? Almost all of us would be more than exstatic if it were updated to a more modern graphic interface on Windows PCs.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Seeing that it is not possible to port Orbiter to Linux (which would certainly be higher priority than XBox) without some serious rewriting, I don't think XBox ever entered Martin's mind...

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
I think Kerbal Space Program would benefit greatly from such transition.

A very good point. You would effectively have to turn Orbiter into KSP to make it playable - how would you work MFDs, autopilots etc. without a mouse and keyboard?

Nice idea, just perhaps slightly the wrong program!

Oh, and by the way, :welcome:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A very good point. You would effectively have to turn Orbiter into KSP to make it playable - how would you work MFDs, autopilots etc. without a mouse and keyboard?

Nice idea, just perhaps slightly the wrong program!

Oh, and by the way, :welcome:

PS3 supports both mouse and keyboard via USB, I believe X360 does as well, so there would be no loss in physical interface. Rewriting code for PS3 compatibility? Not sure that's worth the time.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
when there's almost never even complaints about the lack of Mac/Linux port?

Not for lack of interest. It just seems pointless to pester Martin when he made his future plans for that direction pretty clear.

I agree a console port would pretty much serve no purpose though.

thumper235

Reaction score
Well, and idea is an idea. Yes, Kerbal would be fun on 360 seeing how its extremely simplistic and simple to achieve a basic orbit, and even get to the moon. Dont get me wrong, I frickin LOVE kerbal. I love the mindless humor of it and I have logged MANY hours "playing" it.

You are right, playing something and simulating something are different realms that would never mesh. Thanks for the input! :thumbup:

On a side note, does anyone know if an updated version of orbiter is in the works? The reason I say this is because I just checked out a semi related sim of sorts called spaceEngine. Wow is all I can say about the graphics from a very smart Russian!

Regardless of anything, I have used this sim for a good number of years and it has really started bugging me that I need to give back from what I have taken and enjoyed for so long.