I whipped out my vivitar and boy do i got a tale to tell.

Witch planet(s) have you seen with a telescope?

• Total voters

Slice N Splice

Reaction score
I whipped out my small little vivitar telescope.

I see this super bright star its the brightest star in the sky every night.

I pinpoint it on my telescope and here is what i saw...

It look like a little spec but looking at it carefully i pointed it out as jupiter.

It came with a bonus, i saw one of its moons orbiting it.

The moon was a even smaller speck so i couldn't pinpoint what the moon name was...

But this was so cool, actually getting to see jupiter and one of its moons.

Jupiter looks so peacefull and calm.

It was so awesome actually getting to see a planet in the night sky that isn't on orbiter.

What a sight to see it was...

Jupiter, and one of its moons...

What a night. :)

bwog

Reaction score
I was going to look at Saturn through a telescope but it had gone behind the trees while I was busy looking at the Moon. I did see Jupiter once with a friend's telescope but it was probably about 15 degrees Fahrenheit out so all I saw was one big orange dot and one tiny dot.

DarkEnergy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have seen all of the planets through my 5 inch telescope except for Neptune and Uranus (although I plan to view Uranus on the 22nd when it and Jupiter will be close enough in the sky to view both in the same telescopic field of view).

They all look very cool seeing them in person and noticing particular features on each. I can make out the Cassini division in Saturn's rings, which is very neat, and Jupiter's moons and bands are nice to observe. Mars is a little tricky and varies in size greatly, so I haven't had a good night with Mars yet. I live in one of the most light polluted places in the US though, so I don't know if I'll be able to discern any features on Mars.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. The most amazing were the polar caps of Mars and the rings of Saturn.

but it was probably about 15 degrees Fahrenheit out so all I saw was one big orange dot and one tiny dot.

Low temperatures usually make viewing conditions better, not worse...

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
you can look up what moon by approximating it's position and comparing it to any accurate astronomy programs imagery or nasas solar system simulator. it's surprisingly easy to tell which one by location

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I whipped out my small little vivitar telescope.

I see this super bright star its the brightest star in the sky every night.

I pinpoint it on my telescope and here is what i saw...

It look like a little spec but looking at it carefully i pointed it out as jupiter.

It came with a bonus, i saw one of its moons orbiting it.

The moon was a even smaller speck so i couldn't pinpoint what the moon name was...

But this was so cool, actually getting to see jupiter and one of its moons.

Jupiter looks so peacefull and calm.

It was so awesome actually getting to see a planet in the night sky that isn't on orbiter.

What a sight to see it was...

Jupiter, and one of its moons...

What a night. :)
Are you sure it was one of the moons? Currently, Uranus is very close to Jupiter in the night sky, and will appear in the same field of view with a telescope...

Slice N Splice

Reaction score
Are you sure it was one of the moons? Currently, Uranus is very close to Jupiter in the night sky, and will appear in the same field of view with a telescope...

Well its possible, it was a very small dot, it was a white/yellow/orangish colour.

So it could be a moon or something similiar to that.

Im not really sure but im gonna look again tonight to see if anything else has changed with it.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Wish I could do this sounds peaceful :( anyway I was saw Venus without a telescope ha beat that.

Darren

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I saw a plane fly infront of the moon through my binoculars last month, it was really cool, it showed some light through the cockpit and i could see the heat effect momentarily after it passed by. it was some kind of small private sized jet.

Nazban

Reaction score
damn, i live in Dubai so i can hardly see anything........
I saw Jupiter last week, all i got was a blur, but i could see it was jupiter.

I went last month to Vancouver,Canada went to the HR Macmillan observatory, really exited. And it was overcast tht night..Bummer

Slice N Splice

Reaction score

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I've looked at the moon through a 24X periscope.
I doubt anyone else on the boards can say that.

Slice N Splice

Reaction score
Darnit.

Ok i was taking a walk today and looked over my house, in the sky i see the exact same thing, but it is behind my house so i couldn't get my telescope to pinpoint it, it had a very small reddish colour to it, i think it was mars, i looked at it and i was like "darn" because im not sure from what it is. I think the other one was jupiter because i look at the link tblaxland gave me and the moon was in exact same spot as it was when i look through telescope, so i think the one that i said "darn" to is mars.

Though i could be wrong, it is even brighter than jupiter but it has a very highly super faint reddish colour to it so its possibly mars...

But hey it still cool, though i cannot put my telescope to look in that direction without being in the road though, but hey its cool. :cheers:

DarkEnergy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Slice N Splice said:
Though i could be wrong, it is even brighter than jupiter but it has a very highly super faint reddish colour to it so its possibly mars...

I doubt it was Mars. Mars is not brighter than Jupiter very often (Maybe in 2003, but especially not now.) And I believe Mars is not a night-time planet right now anyway... I'm in New Jersey too, so I would expect it's not for you either. :lol:

You'll recognize Mars for sure next year though. It has a very distinct red color, not like what you described. Unfortunately, I live in the worst spot for light pollution; right next to Philadelphia and not far from several other spotlight-cities...

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
And I believe Mars is not a night-time planet right now anyway... I'm in New Jersey too, so I would expect it's not for you either. :lol:
Mars sets about 3 hours after sunset at present. It shouldn't be too much different for you.