I went to Venus

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I have now been to all the planets except Uranus and Neptune
:bananadance::bananadance::bananadance:
If only I could figure out that slingshot thing...

I can only think of one reason Venus takes longer to reach than Mercury: more traffic lights.

Solar424

Reaction score
I have landed on Jupiter. Not sure how but I did, in a DG.

Keatah

Reaction score
Just use a warp mfd, or timewarp and unlimited fuel. You can go anyplace in minutes.

RAF Blackace

Reaction score
I've been to Sedna and back using timewarp and limited fuel/oxygen, took many hours though. Neptune was only a third of the way there.

The first generation crew died out just after that, by the time we got back 3 generations had lived and died on the ship.

Warp is cheating :)

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've been to Sedna and back using timewarp and limited fuel/oxygen, took many hours though. Neptune was only a third of the way there.

The first generation crew died out just after that, by the time we got back 3 generations had lived and died on the ship.

Warp is cheating :)

Limited oxygen for a trip like that? How big was the crew and how much oxygen was there?

RAF Blackace

Reaction score
Well we let the older males die first so the crew was reduced to a reproductive female and the captain. they had two children who carried on the line and always maintained a crew of at least 4. The cargo was mostly oxygen as the burn to Sedna didn't require that much fuel. As the ship was so far away and almost at the apoapsis of its orbit though it took about a 100 years to close the final few million miles we were going so slow. I could have saved a generation of the crew the pain of living their entire existence in deep space, but I didn't want to waste what little fuel we had.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well we let the older males die first so the crew was reduced to a reproductive female and the captain. they had two children who carried on the line and always maintained a crew of at least 4. The cargo was mostly oxygen as the burn to Sedna didn't require that much fuel. As the ship was so far away and almost at the apoapsis of its orbit though it took about a 100 years to close the final few million miles we were going so slow. I could have saved a generation of the crew the pain of living their entire existence in deep space, but I didn't want to waste what little fuel we had.

This reminds me of the Star Trek: Enterprise episode E^2, which involves the (NX-01) Enterprise becoming a generational ship (since a temporal anomaly transported them to the 2030s, so they have to wait over 100 years to warn themselves -time paradox- about the anomaly).

Last edited:

EnDSchultz

Reaction score
I have landed on Jupiter. Not sure how but I did, in a DG.

Presumably at a certain depth the pressure becomes so great the atmosphere effectively starts behaving more or less like a solid.

As for Venus, it's a diabolical place. I lost a crew to that pressure cooker. The DGIV went down to deliver a crew and basic inflatabase to the surface. Turns out, though, you use so much ploughing your way up and out of the dense atmosphere you don't have enough left to gain orbital velocity (on most realistic fuel settings). I tried to rescue them but the transponder frequency was so weak I couldn't get a fix on their location. Maybe because of the atmosphere? Either way, it was a sad day for the mission.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Presumably at a certain depth the pressure becomes so great the atmosphere effectively starts behaving more or less like a solid.

As for Venus, it's a diabolical place. I lost a crew to that pressure cooker. The DGIV went down to deliver a crew and basic inflatabase to the surface. Turns out, though, you use so much ploughing your way up and out of the dense atmosphere you don't have enough left to gain orbital velocity (on most realistic fuel settings). I tried to rescue them but the transponder frequency was so weak I couldn't get a fix on their location. Maybe because of the atmosphere? Either way, it was a sad day for the mission.

Isn't it more like liquid hydrogen or metallic liquid hydrogen?

johan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I've had this experience on Venus, in an XR2 I think - trying to get down to the surface, and having to warp because the atmosphere gets so dense it nearly stops your vertical velocity.

Then I made the mistake of opening a hatch (or dropping down the gears, or something) before coming to a complete stop - instantly killing the crew by first having the protruding bit blow off, and then having friction overheat the ship (IIRC I was doing something like 40m/s ... but it's a long time ago so could be wrong). :eek:wned:

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
...and then having friction overheat the ship (IIRC I was doing something like 40m/s

Even worse is the thought that on Venus the temperature is so high, if you open something, you don't even need friction, the temperature is probably high enough to kill you... :focus:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Just use a warp mfd, or timewarp and unlimited fuel. You can go anyplace in minutes.
That sort of defeats the challenge (and fun) of creating interplanetary transfer solutions.

Congrats on getting to Venus, and if you want help with slings markl316 wrote a really good [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4142"]IMFD manual [/ame]

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

It's even faster with the scenario editor. ;)

Well done! TMac3000

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
An important point: I did not land on Venus; I just went into Venus orbit and observed her from space. She is quite a featureless ball, not nearly as pretty as the ancient Greeks thought she was;)

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Also found this interesting article
http://vintagespace.wordpress.com/2011/12/03/nasas-manned-mission-to-venus/