Poll How would you fly to the ISS?

How would you get there?

• Shuttle

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Orion

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Soyuz

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Apollo (with modified docking adapter/nav system)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 11 22.4%

• Total voters

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Shuttle. It was a dream of mine from a young age to fly on the Shuttle.

Soyuz would probably be the safest and most realistic way of getting there though... Orion doesn't look like it'll be around soon and Apollo is an antique...

Mantis

Reaction score
Shuttle has lifeted more people into space and brought them back safely than any other vehicle in history so that would be my choice.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Shuttle has lifeted more people into space and brought them back safely than any other vehicle in history so that would be my choice.

Not having an opportunity to do a first stage abort is quite unnerving.

Turbinator

Reaction score
When today's space vehicles (possible by today's technology) are in question, I choose to go up in style with the Space Shuttle. It is the single most awesome pinnacle of human space-flight. Why would I not chose to go up in that? Space capsules are an archaic technology, one that is taken as a first step to space. The only reason we still use space capsules, and why NASA is taking a large step back, is money. In today's world the use of money to kill other human beings with is more important than the exploration of the final frontier. And that is the sole reason why capsules are still in use, instead of sitting as relics in museums, of times gone by. Now, instead, the Space Shuttle will be sitting as a relic of what once has been, while capsules go on.

However if we are talking about any imaginable spacecraft, it would have to be the USS Voyager (NCC-74656). You see I was originally going to say the XR-2 Ravenstar, but then I tell myself. If it is -any- imaginable spacecraft, it would be the Voyager, period. The XR-2 is the second choice.

Very good pic, for scale, with people, however no hotlinking, so just click the link:
http://www.starshipdatalink.net/operations/images/landing-2.jpg

Pdvd_076.jpg

Voyager%20Landing%20on%20Hanon%20IV.jpg

03.jpg

Turbinator

Reaction score
Awesome analogy. However, that's what I would do. I always dreamed of being able to walk the corridors of Voyager.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
When looking at safety I would take Soyuz. Also, IMO, the launch vehicle did much more historic things than STS. The Shuttle has much more things that can go wrong (and no LES that will save you). But I'm just used to winged vehicles so I would take the Shuttle (And if I ever go on a suborbital flight, SS2). And there's much more to see.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Awesome analogy. However, that's what I would do. I always dreamed of being able to walk the corridors of Voyager.

The Voyager is bigger than ISS - it would be like taking a supercarrier to visit a raft!

Walking the corridors of Voyager, hurm?

sexy-Jeri-Ryan.jpg

I understand perfectly what you mean.:thumbup:

Ark

Reaction score
Shuttle. But only if I could sit on the flight deck where the windows are.

Those $20m Soyuz rides seem like a huge ripoff when you can't even look out a window on the way.

FSXHD

Heterotroph
Donator
Reaction score
I would fly to the ISS via a Saturn V and fly back via a space shuttle.

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
Space elevator.

With a looped muzak version of "Girl from Ipanema" playing the whole time.

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
When today's space vehicles (possible by today's technology) are in question, I choose to go up in style with the Space Shuttle. It is the single most awesome pinnacle of human space-flight. Why would I not chose to go up in that? Space capsules are an archaic technology, one that is taken as a first step to space. The only reason we still use space capsules, and why NASA is taking a large step back, is money. In today's world the use of money to kill other human beings with is more important than the exploration of the final frontier. And that is the sole reason why capsules are still in use, instead of sitting as relics in museums, of times gone by. Now, instead, the Space Shuttle will be sitting as a relic of what once has been, while capsules go on.

[Rant]
Only money? What about the fact capsule-type craft are the safest ways to reenter the atmosphere, and are also the safest during launch? A Soyuz once flew head first during part of reentry and survived it. I don't think the Shuttle could have survived that! I'm not bashing the shuttle or saying capsule-type craft are superior in all respects. I am not convinced about the idea that is all about money. There are some very good points as to capsule-type craft, and I want to know why so say they should be shown to the museum floor, instead of having the useful working lives that they should have. Show me your facts![/Rant]

If I could pick two ships to ride up there, I would first go in a Gemini. Something about that program causes a kind of joy or love to rise in my heart. It would be awesome to ride up to ISS and say to mission control, " I Rode X amount of km to get up here, and now I have to walk to the front porch!". :lol: It would be a tight fit, being the Gusmobile and all; but if you love something enough, you will endure the hardships, and that is true for me. The other ship is sci-fi: the Outlaw Star. I would show ISS what a RMS should be like, and then detour on the way back to earth to go visit the solar system. Though I not qualified to land a tail lander yet... could be trouble;).

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I would fly to the ISS via a Saturn V and fly back via a space shuttle.
Ok. Who wants to help me zip tie FSXHD to a Saturn V, nobody? Come on someone must want to help. Boy I sure hope thats tight enough. :uhh:

Darren