General Question how to use my own texture?

weiqi

Reaction score
I have developed a satellite named FSKY, and now I want to add some effect about the solarpanel and the satellite's main body. So I took some pictures and transform them into .dds format, then I stick them on the satellite in 3ds max. However, I couldn't see the effect in the orbiter.
Then I tried the textures included in "orbiter060929_base/Textures", and I was glad to see the effect in the Orbiter. I couldn't understand this phenomena, can you help me?
I'm waiting for any advice from you, thanks!

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
Hi Weiqi

the dds texture needs to be in Orbiters /textures folder.
You should also check your .msh file in a text editor. Right at the end of the file should be your texture. Make sure it has a .dds ending.

The dds textures should be in DXT1 or DXT5 format.

Hope that helps.

weiqi

Reaction score
Hi, Arthur Dent:
Thanks for your kindness. I have copied the texture which I used to the Orbiter/textures folder, and I also checked my .msh file in a text editor, there was no error in the file.
Is there anything wrong with the convertor I used to transform .3ds file to .msh file? I use the "3ds2msh.exe" and the "3ds2msh_gui.exe" to convert the format. I will try another convertor to compare with it.
Thank you for you help! If I have any problem, I will also come here to biring forward them.