Discussion How do you sell the idea of space exploration to the 'joe public'?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why bother to even make it publicly attractive? Just find a way to funnel 3 to 5 percent of the US military budget into space flight without anyone making a ruckus, budget problems solved... :p

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Why bother to even make it publicly attractive? Just find a way to funnel 3 to 5 percent of the US military budget into space flight without anyone making a ruckus, budget problems solved... :p

The military makes quite a few launches, but with little evidence of scientific motives...
Also, anyone know how much money goes to the 'non-existent' Area 51? :lol: (i.e. 'black ops')

Last edited:

Mader Levap

Reaction score
Andy's right, fear is the only thing that ever accomplished significant gains in space exploration.
Really? I see only costly one-time stunts as results. This is way to show off, not make sustainable space program.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The military makes quite a few launches, but with little evidence of scientific motives...

Those few launches hardly matter. With a yearly budget of 5% of military spending, NASA wouldn't know where to throw the money... :shifty: (that would make about 30 billion per year). I therefore consider the economic argument not entirely valid. The money would be there, if it was a priority. Space flight is not less profitable than the military.

Krikkit

Reaction score
I think space has already been sold to the public. I notice that space related stories on BBC news are always high ranked in the most read column. Like today, Elon Musk's comments about Ariane V are second only to the ongoing Gaza bombardment.

I think the interest is there, the enthusiasm is whats missing. And if you want to build enthusiasm about space exploration my suggestion is give people something to be enthusiastic about. Only so much excitement can be generated over Curiosity taking photos of yet another red rock.