How did you find Orbiter?

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Pr0n only gets interesting when you discover your ex-girlfriend in a video. Things get too interesting, when you notice you played the male role. :p:rofl:

Excuse me, Mr. Urwumpe, but were you making a joke, or do you know this from experience?

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
Somebody posted a link to the download on RDF, oh well, from then it's half a year till now, and playing it everyday, until I decided to dual boot my laptop yesterday(Orbiter is as addictive as Linux, it seems).

KOS

Reaction score
I was searching about free space sims, getting some information about Microsoft Sim. Something like... 3... 4 years ago ?

I have to say that just recently I've liked the sim, before it was just something that I couldn't understand, strange physics etc. Then, when I wanted to get on the ISS and make a trip to the Moon I started looking at tutorials, manuals and I got a grip on the laws of physics.

I love the game now even if I do have to understand much more, trips outside Earth Orbit are still a "no go" for me. I can go to the moon just with the Interplanetary MFD tutorial and from then make a lunar landing (DG, DGIV).

De-orbiting safely it's still a mess for me, I always end up burning extra toasted. :sos:

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
I found orbiter whilst serching over sourceforge. i found NASSP and thought "that looks fun!" and downloaded it. read the readme and "better download this 'orbiter' thing." and the rest is history,

Cpt CryBaby

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.

duh.:p

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
I was always interested in "space games". I played the difficult SpaceMAX (it was on a CD of one of these game mags - Bestseller Games) a while ago. It was basically a 2d space station builder for DOS. Usually all my astronauts died in space, or they were on strike and I had to send a second shuttle up to continue the assembly. That crew eventually started to strike again due to the heavy work load.

Anyway, a bit later a played the demo of the "Internation Space Station Simulator - ISSS". It had 3d graphics, which was the only interesting part of it. The rest of the game was very dull.

Once I had broadband internet, I googled for other space simulation games and came to orbiter in late 2002. Coincedently at about the same time I even read an article about it in the german flight sim magazine Flight X-Press.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I love the game now even if I do have to understand much more, trips outside Earth Orbit are still a "no go" for me. I can go to the moon just with the Interplanetary MFD tutorial and from then make a lunar landing (DG, DGIV).

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3403"]Tutorial: Concepts for Interplanetary MFD 4.2.1[/ame]

De-orbiting safely it's still a mess for me, I always end up burning extra toasted. :sos:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3428"]Tutorial: Concepts for atmospheric reentry[/ame]

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
I was searching around (and probably not on Google, not way back then) for some upgrade or replacement for Microsoft's Space Sim, and instead I found Orbiter and the excellent Orbiter community.

I never have the time I'd like to devote to this hobby, but I can never stay away for very long.

SPASE_1976

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was searching for free space flight simulators starting with "O" and i found it !!

XonE32

Reaction score
On a forum for a group playing Silent Hunter 3 or Rome: Total War (can't remember which as it was back in 2005... I think).

We we're discussing other sims and someone mentioned Orbiter and I was off. ;)

PaulG

Reaction score
Found it on HOTU. Home of the Underdogs, abandonware site.

supersonic

Add-on Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
fsxpilots.webs.com
I googled "free flight simulator" and ended with a blog that had a few flight simulators. Orbiter was the last one I looked at, and by far the best.:thumbup:

Last edited:

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I was looking for a ROM and emulator to run Activision's Space Shuttle for Atari 2600. I have the console and the cartridge, but not the connector to make it work in my TV.

In my quest for it, I found Celestia. At that time, I suggested the idea of making it be a space flight sim and they referred me to Orbiter.

At that time the Celestia community was not quite friendly to newbies who wanted to make addons and asked questions (and if I am correct it changed later and became more friendly), so I stood here and made addons for the Orbiter community

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I was looking for Vektor Grafix/Virgin Games Shuttle DOS game, at the end of 2002, because I had it back in 386DX times on 5.25 floppies, and I wanted to play some Shuttle simulation. And that's how I found Orbiter 021217 inter alia.

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
A friend of mine showed me, that he found a space flight simulator, where it's possible to launch to space with full realistic physics. "Quite boring" I thought first to myself, but after sleeping a night over it, it's seem I was addicted of the idea of space-travel. ^^

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
Looking for games for Windows, lol. So you see, sometimes it's nice to catalogate this nice simulator as a game, at least people find it!! :lol: