How awesome am I?

killerclick

Reaction score
Hi,

I downloaded the new version of Orbiter after three years, didn't even bother plugging in my joystick, took off from Florida in the Delta Glider and docked to the ISS. Just like that, climbed to 350 km, accelerated to 7.something km/s, slowly approached the ISS and docked. It took me only an hour or so real time and I don't even know how to read half the displays.

Was that awesome or what? :)

Can someone please point me to a list of must-have add-ons for realism and improved graphics? (if such a thing exists)
Thanks

lennartsmit

Reaction score
I think it's more awesome if you exactly know what you're doing and make the correct decisions from your knowledge. Other then that, :welcome: to the forums!

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome! Direct ascents to a space station are not the best way, although they are quick. You should try to do orbital rendezvous by aligning and syncing orbits - it saves fuel. That said, I've never done a direct ascent - they sound fun!

killerclick

Reaction score
You might want to take a look at this thread if you want to learn how to do a REAL direct ascent ;)

Sooo I'm not awesome at all. :shrug:

So there I was waiting on the runway for like two days for the ISS to fly over me. When it was coming up to Mexico I was like ok that's it and I put the pedal to the metal at take off at a 45 degree angle. Once I was at 300 km and like 7 km/s I mess around with the MFD and select docking. Whoa! I get the position of the ISS and what I later figured out was the delta v right there on the HUD! Sweet! Then I kept turning and burning to get the delta v to like 50 m/s (from around 800 m/s) and then I just glide in towards the ISS. Docking was a pain in the ass because I didn't have a joystick plugged in so that took like forever but I did it and probably have enough fuel to deorbit.

I knew it was easy just like in Star Wars. :)

Thanks for the link Tycho!