Gaming Hielor's Minecraft Server

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've updated to the latest version of CraftBukkit.

The dynamic map plugin was updated, so I've cleared the existing map and it's currently rendering a new one.

Markers and stuff should be preserved; let me know if you have any issues (other than "ohhh, this chunk isn't showing up on the map yet!")

usmc3891

OFSS III Pilot
Reaction score
How much of an fps hit is there with the water shader mod? If it matters, I can run a 128x texture pack with no problem. 256x packs are too much for my comp.

usmc3891

OFSS III Pilot
Reaction score
What would yall think about me building a mob spawner/exp farm form the commune in the overworld? I found a great design for it. :)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What would yall think about me building a mob spawner/exp farm form the commune in the overworld? I found a great design for it. :)
I already have one just north of spawn, look for the small stone brick building on the northern coast.

The items-mode killer is pretty good, the exp-mode killer could use some work. The spawning floor could also stand to be expanded to increase the mob spawn rate.

If you want to take a look and possibly upgrade the spawning floor, go for it.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score

The western lighthouse has a mob grinder built in it, and there is a deactivated one under the bay to the south of spawn, and i know of one spider Monster Spawner and a Skeleton spawner within the walls (underground of course). The Blaze grinder is the most effective XP grinder we have. I say this not having looked at Hielor's grinder yet.

ElTaco

Reaction score
The Blaze grinder is the most effective XP grinder we have.

I'm not sure its fully optimized though. I think some xp gets lost behind the mechanism or it just bugs out into infinity.

Also, if I could somehow find two blaze spawners fairly close together I bet I could almost double the amount of xp/minute.

ElTaco

Reaction score
Hey Hielor, would you mind white listing my friend. His username is Grims_Scythe.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hey Hielor, would you mind white listing my friend. His username is Grims_Scythe.
As I mentioned a week or so ago, I'd like to start locking down the server to only O-F members, rather than adding O-F members and their friends and their neighbors and their cousins and so on and so forth, given how many people there are approved:

HOWEVER, and I'd like input from other people on this--I'm strongly considering scaling back who I allow to join the server. Currently there's more than 50 approved people, and many of them have only tenuous (at best) ties to Orbiter-Forum.

I'm thinking--restrict new users to only those people who have and have used (that is, they can't just sign up for O-F to join the server, they need to have posted about Orbiter at some point) Orbiter-Forum accounts. The server isn't getting overloaded, technology-wise, it's just that I think a lot of people feel that things are getting crowded. Hopefully by restricting new users to only those who have a bona fide interest in Orbiter, we'll be able to ensure that existing users (and "good" new users) will be more able to build what they want without running into issues from other people.

What do you guys think? Good idea, bad idea?

However, I'd only asked for opinions on this and hadn't posted a decision either way, so I've approved Grims_Scythe, but that's the last "friend" that's getting approved. I've updated the original rules post to reflect the new policy.

Just in case anyone asks--anyone who's already approved on the server is staying approved, unless they get themselves banned. I'm not *that* evil :lol:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I already have one just north of spawn, look for the small stone brick building on the northern coast.

The items-mode killer is pretty good, the exp-mode killer could use some work. The spawning floor could also stand to be expanded to increase the mob spawn rate.

If you want to take a look and possibly upgrade the spawning floor, go for it.

The most efficient dark room type spawner is one that has all the spawn pads between 24 and 32 blocks of where the player is standing. Mobs don't spawn closer than 24 blocks and stop moving after 5 seconds if they're outside of 32 blocks, which prevents them from walking into water streams.

In reality, the highest number of mobs per hour you get is about 1000, but the caps on the server are adjusted based on how many chunks are loaded, so it can vary...
If you find two spawners within 30 block radius of each other, you can activate both of them. I'm not actually sure, but you'll be somewhere in the range of 600 to 800 mobs per hour that way. Abandoned mine-shafts are your best bet. The cave spider spawners are common and often within close range. I know of someone who found 4 spawners within range...

ElTaco

Reaction score
I'd like to start locking down the server to only O-F members

I wasn't aware that you were even considering it.

It may just be me but I dont see many of those 50 whitelistees that you mentioned. It's usually just a core of about 6 or so and even still, not all the time.

I've approved Grims_Scythe

Thanks.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that you were even considering it.

It may just be me but I dont see many of those 50 whitelistees that you mentioned. It's usually just a core of about 6 or so and even still, not all the time.
It's more of an "available space" issue than a "server load" issue.

johan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi Hielor

Could you please whitelist me? My MC nick is "johan8211". I won't be on very much, but it would be nice to have the option of actually doing something when I'm on there as opposed to just hanging around :)

Also, on the whitelisting point:
It's more of an "available space" issue than a "server load" issue.

Even with approving only O-F members, won't we run into the same problem anyway?

Should somebody perhaps lead the way to go settle a second area? We can set a minimum distance this second town should be away from spawn (2km? 3km? I can't see the dynamic map for some reason (suspect the port got blocked on the corporate firewall), so I can't judge what a good distance will be).

Anyway, if we make a point of connecting the two places by nether rail, then it will only be a short ride to make the journey either way. (5km in the overworld is 675m in the nether, if I'm not mistaken?) Going by overworld rail would be ridiculous - I have a 1.8km subway in my SSP world and hate riding it because it takes too long.

I don't mind taking the plunge and going exploring - will just need to take supplies & tools from somewhere if nobody minds... I saw lots of chests in the commune area, is that the right place to take such things from?

I can see us starting a bit of a real-estate industry at some point :)

By the way, some other possible solutions I can see:
* Get ever more strict with who is allowed on, until it gets ridiculous
* Actually de-whitelisting people based on some "fair" criterion, like how often they're on the server anyway

Any others anyone?

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi Hielor

Could you please whitelist me? My MC nick is "johan8211". I won't be on very much, but it would be nice to have the option of actually doing something when I'm on there as opposed to just hanging around :)
Added

Even with approving only O-F members, won't we run into the same problem anyway?
At that point I think it's less of an issue--I feel that since the server is intended for O-F members, they have more of a "right" to the land than friends, cousins, etc.

Should somebody perhaps lead the way to go settle a second area? We can set a minimum distance this second town should be away from spawn (2km? 3km? I can't see the dynamic map for some reason (suspect the port got blocked on the corporate firewall), so I can't judge what a good distance will be).
There's currently an invisible wall up at 5.5km from spawn, but that still leaves plenty of space.

That means the explorable world is 11km by 11km. Without ignoring water, that means there's 121 square kilometers of space. If every person wanted a square kilometer (a bit more than 3 minutes of walking to your neighbor) to themselves, we could support 121 people without problems. Even accounting for ocean, we have plenty of space.

That's the theory.

The reality is that almost everyone has clustered within a half-kilometer square around the spawn point. That's the crowding that I'm concerned about. If people would spread out (or just plain not make hideous buildings right next to everyone else) I don't think it would be an issue. I'd brought up the possibility of having some kind of "real estate" system in place on the server, but people were mostly opposed to that--in contrast to the "allow only O-F members in the future" idea, which was pretty much universally supported.

Of course, there's also a downside to spreading out--if you spread out too much and no one ever sees anyone else, then it kind of defeats the purpose of being on an SMP server. Ideally, people would be far enough to not crowd each other, but close enough that we can easily share our creations with each other. That's a hard balance to strike.

Gerdih

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm thinking about a project in the server. It would be a Orbiter's Forum building; a large precint surrounded by a portic that would contain some buildings like temples :hailprobe:, auditoriums, libraries a square, etc. It would be done by an ancient inspired architecture like ancient roman forums. I am thinking about how to do it, but I have thought about many things right now. I am doing a example of the portic in front of my house to see how it would be. I think the best area is a centric area just near the harbour (see image). It would be a little separated of the spawn. What do you think about this? will someone collaborate? ( The area its the red area, is just an idea so you can say some ideas about this)

Attachments

• Area central Minecraft Orbiter.png
    Area central Minecraft Orbiter.png
    404.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm thinking about a project in the server. It would be a Orbiter's Forum building; a large precint surrounded by a portic that would contain some buildings like temples :hailprobe:, auditoriums, libraries a square, etc. It would be done by an ancient inspired architecture like ancient roman forums. I am thinking about how to do it, but I have thought about many things right now. I am doing a example of the portic in front of my house to see how it would be. I think the best area is a centric area just near the harbour (see image). It would be a little separated of the spawn. What do you think about this? will someone collaborate? ( The area its the red area, is just an idea so you can say some ideas about this)

While the idea is good, I don't think that is the place for it. The way it sounds, it might be better as another city. This one has most of those things already.

I am open to other ideas for that space though. The north end will probably remain for personal use. But the south end I would like to develop as a public area.