Math Hardware Coding in C++

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
Hey guys,

In reference to my previous topic on DC motors, I need to get all the hardware requirements to control everything correctly. So I am wanting to know 2 things.

• What are the best chips and boards to control 40 motors simultaniously from a computer
  • What is the best advice for programming such a thing in C/C++

Thanks and :hailprobe:

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are literally hundreds of options available to you. Perhaps if we knew a little more about what you wanted to do, we could more completely answer your questions. For instance, do you want a full operating system? Or would a simple microcontroller suffice? Do you want a central board controlling everything, or can you have secondary boards receiving commands to drive groups of motors? What about communication?
I really think you need to do a little more research before asking specific questions. Based on your other topic, you seem to be wanting to build a walking robot. That's extremely ambitious especially for someone that's just starting out. If you seriously think you can accomplish it right off, then that's great! We've all got to make big jumps sometimes. But very few people have ever been able to make huge leaps like this.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
In addition to what Zatnikitelman has said, I would suggest you start with a Lego Mindstorms kit. You would be able to prototype ideas without having a large expense of materials and electronics.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
80569074620f78f7ef36o-1350894660.jpg

Arduino Due. High power, lots of pins.

Though 40 motors? Aren't you over-engineering whatever you're building?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
My computer science teacher did some electronics stuff a few years ago.
He says he got the PC boards from mouser.com but used assembly with his PIC.
And more info directly: "I designed the circuit with gSchem on Linux, then printed to postscript file. Then laser printed on photo paper, then ironed onto the PCB. The ferric chloride I got from Frys I think."

He said Radio Shack likely has the same supplies, but more expensive and in smaller quantities.

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

I really think you need to do a little more research before asking specific questions. Based on your other topic, you seem to be wanting to build a walking robot. That's extremely ambitious especially for someone that's just starting out. If you seriously think you can accomplish it right off, then that's great! We've all got to make big jumps sometimes. But very few people have ever been able to make huge leaps like this.

I would suggest starting with smaller, separate projects simply for the most satisfaction for your money and time. Increasingly complex successes just sound nicer to me than a shoddy expensive robot that takes forever to debug.

Last edited: