OHM Hapke Moon V1.1 (131k x 65k) Orb. BETA

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: post much?

Add-on Description:

**Orbiter BETA Only!**

**This is an alternative to martins' optional level 11 Moon textures from http://mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/orbiter/assets/moon.html, but does NOT replace the elevation data. This is the surface folder ONLY. This is why the file-size is a little smaller, but its resolution level is the same as the optional Moon textures.**

**Resolution levels 1 through 11**

This new map was compiled with the 'Lunaserv' 100mpp WAC reflectance scraped from the LROC WAC WMS server and the new Hapke normalized reflectance for 643nm+566nm+415nm bands. Since the Hapke data was clipped for "scientific reasons", I had to cheat and colorize the rest of the data with GIMP. The Hapke data was scaled up by a factor of 473.8% to fit the dimensions of the Lunaserv mosaic, and I made a +15 Brightness/-20 Contrast edit to the Lunaserv map to match martins' old V1 moon map in brightness. The colorized data, as well as the Hapke data, were used as 'coloring layers' to the Lunaserv map. 

Note that this map does not have any fixed shadows to hide the interpolated nature of the current elevation data, but conversely I feel this is a great test for the terrain engine and for any future revisions to the elevation data for the Moon.

To install:
Navigate to your Orbiter folder and select 'Extract Here'.

Credit:

NASA/GSFC/Arizona State University provided data accessed via Lunaserv WMS

Data Sources:

'Lunaserv' global reflectance
    http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/posts/707 (first mentioned here)
    http://webmap.lroc.asu.edu/lunaserv.html (via 108 manual WMS web queries)

Boyd, A.K. et. al., 2013, LROC WAC 100 Meter Scale Photometrically
Normalized Map of the Moon, AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts
Estes, N.M. et. al., 2013, Lunaserv Web Map Service: History,
Implementation Details, Development, and Uses, 44th Lunar and Planetary
Science Conference, pg. 2609.
Robinson, M.S., Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera Experimental Data
Record, LRO-L-LROC-2-EDR-V1.0, NASA Planetary Data System, 2010
Robinson, M.S. et. al., 2010, Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC)
Instrument Overview, Space Science Reviews, Vol 150, pp. 81-124

Normalized Hapke Parameter maps
    http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc/view_rdr/WAC_EMP_NORMALIZED

Boyd, A.K., Robinson, M.S., and Sato, H. (2012), Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Wide Angle Camera Photometry: An Empirical Solution, In 43rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, Abstract #2795.

Mazarico, E., Rowlands, D.D., Neumann, G.A., Smith, D.E., Torrence, M.H., Lemoine, F.G., Zuber, M.T., (2012), Orbit determination of the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, Journal of Geodesy , Volume 86, Issue 3, pp.193-207, doi:10.1007/s00190-011-0509-4

Scholten, F., J. Oberst, K.-D. Matz, T. Roatsch, M. Wählisch, E.J. Speyerer, M.S. Robinson (2012), GLD100 – the n

DOWNLOAD

Post much?

Reaction score
This is a new Moon texture map which is level 11(Orbiter Beta patch size)/level 12 (Orbiter 2010 patch size). It uses the latest WAC color maps and a full-res (100mpp) zero-incidence reflectance map (so no shadows!).

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I'm not gonna download 3Gb+ to see IF there is a more detailed readme inside, so I ask here:
I don't understand if these textures are supposed to "replace" (or be an alternative to) Martin's textures on Xyon's server.
Since "official" HiRes tex are 9.5Gb, I assume these are a somewhat "better-LoRes" package?

Anyway, from the screens I saw, they do look good!
:thumbup:

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

Post much?

Reaction score
I'm not gonna download 3Gb+ to see IF there is a more detailed readme inside, so I ask here:
I don't understand if these textures are supposed to "replace" (or be an alternative to) Martin's textures on Xyon's server.
Since "official" HiRes tex are 9.5Gb, I assume these are a somewhat "better-LoRes" package?

Anyway, from the screens I saw, they do look good!
:thumbup:

How did I miss this... :blush:
I've updated the add-on's description to clarify what this add-on's purpose and content is. Let me know if this is sufficient :)

Last edited:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Thanks!
You say
This is why the file-size is a little smaller
so you clearly refer to Martin's HiRes textures, but those are optional, not stock.

So I think that if you add something like this (or equivalent)
but its resolution level is equal to the optional HiRes Moon textures you can download from bla bla bla...
to your description on OH, it'll be just perfect.

Last edited: