GOX Acrylic hybrid engine.

OrbitalConfusion

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ2hOH23-zU

I have the parts in my lab to construct one of these. Although I would have to turn a nozzle on my lathe, but I think I can make it. Does anyone know much about these engines? The skeptic that resides in my brain says thrust to weight is a big problem. Also tuning in a nozzle to find peak performance is a whole other ball of wax. I have played the "lets create a nozzle game" before and it took quit a while, not to mention a lot of cursing.

There is not a whole lot of information lurking on this engine concept in getting some solid numbers or atleast a dependable ballpark figure. I just want to see if its even worth my time to try this or is it more of a put it on the bench as decoration. :) Ideas?

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Virgin Galactic uses hybrid engines on their Spaceships 1 & 2. I think they were using a solid rubber/nitrous oxide motor but switched to a solid polymer fuel. Simple engines that can be throttled on and off, very handy for what Virgin is trying to do.

I believe the thrust-to-weight is greatly improved compared to a liquid fuel/oxidizer engine as you don't need all the valving and turbomachinery for the fuel. But compared to a solid motor, probably not. You'd have to figure out a lightweight way to feed gaseous oxidizer. Maybe a disposable O2 cartridge like this?

As for sizing the nozzle, that is a separate issue really. I'd say any guidance you get on making nozzles for solid motors should be pretty good.

Last edited:

OrbitalConfusion

Reaction score
I gave into temptation and constructed one. I turned a few different nozzle types and played around with it for a few hours. What is shown in the video does not produce much thrust. It is a cool toy, and I cannot help but play with it when bored.

I actually got a response from a designer of these engines I found. You are right. What Virgin is running seems to be the way to soar. Before I die, I want to build a rocket to reach space.