Going to the moon and back 2011 [DGIV realistic settings]

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
You also may attach a fuel tank to the nose.
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2732"]External fuel tank v0.4[/ame]

FuelTank.jpg

By the way, what airport is this?

05_src.jpg

PriestLizard

Reaction score
The airport is the fictional "Space Research Center" on Sumatra, Indonesia. The author is the same as for the Energia and TX vessels (forgot the name).

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
HiPotOk1978 thank for that nice scenario!

i have a small question, after LOI i left the rescue module in space and landed safely at Aurora lunar base, two of the droptanks where empty and jettisoned on there own. the remaining tanks had both 12% fuel left right before touchdown. i quit orbiter to do my return to earth another day. after i docked with the rescue module i noticed that the droptanks where still attached, i opened the scenario editor just to see that the tanks where full again. is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Sadly no, it is a limitation of Velcro Rockets. Perhaps Sputnik will fix it one day

irondarren

Reaction score
Bit of and old thread but priestlizzard, i just tried it. fuel set to realistic. i managed to make LEO then pushed on to the moon (more of a case of drifted to the moon) landed using the re-entry program (P104S50) using hover thrusters to slow down and maintain altitude. leveling off as i begin to slow down and vertical speed increases. Landed on moon with around 200 fuel left. not having used any fuel tank. Took off from moon used all fuel available couldn't reach a proper oribit but had enough to to eject fuel payload, dock and refuel 2000 before hitting the moon. this is where it went a little wrong i forgot to open the nose cone, meaning i damaged it. De-docked from fuel tank rather to close to moon, opened up the throttle and headed earth bound. With some fuel left. Damaged nose cone ment i burn up in earth's atmosphere. Didnt save when i landed on moon means ill have to give it another shot and remember to open the nose cone. Actually this time ill fuel up in LEO then i'll carry less mass to the moon and use less fuel.
By the way i never have manage to work out any of the MFD's and tend to use the point and thrust method.
Ill let you know on my next attempt. Assuming i am doing the scenario correct.

PriestLizard

Reaction score
Hi Irondarren.

You could have launched another ship to rescue the crew and to finish the mission. :)

I haven't had the time to spend time with orbiter for quite some weeks now since I'm preparing for an important physics exam but I will certainly come back after it. I already have a lunar program in mind (see my other thread) - and I will most likely use the Energia Launcher for the DGVIs. Maybe you should try it out. Its easy to use.

Then set the DGVI to Mark1 engine (50kN), all realistic settings.

Oh and about the MFDs: InterplanetaryMFD is a good start I guess. I tried to make the calculations for a TLI by myself but haven't succeeded with that yet (it cannot be completely solved by algebra anyway).

Good luck and have fun with your missions. :)