Funny ooops moments

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I had another unfortunate experience with the moon today. I was just trying to fly a Shuttle-A from Mars to the moon. Simple, right?

Everything was more or less flawless. So flawless, in fact, that I found that I was hurtling into the very center of the moon at about 20 km/s. I used up all the fuel in the shuttle to steer clear of doom.

I immediately launched a rescue mission in another Shuttle-A (it was the only ship at Brighton). Meanwhile, the shuttle in distressed shot past the moon at an altitude of 20 km and a velocity of 20 km/s.

I did the best I could, but by the time the shuttle in distress was several thousand kilometers from the moon, I knew it was hopeless.

Moral of the story: areobraking on Earth is a better idea.

adamb193

Lighting Geek
Reaction score
My first moon mission I landed with a -1m/s vertical speed, but at a few Kilometers a second horizontal speed, managed to roll over do a few flips and kill the crew, forgot that the moon had no atmosphere to slow me down but you can really see how fast a few Km/s is.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Ooooops!! Surface is closer than it appears!!

crashonfire29jq.jpg

crashshfatality5lc.jpg

Ooops!! I ended up landing on the wrong planet...

listaparapartirdemo2sl.jpg

Ooops!!! Stepping sites with archeological value...

emech1d2mz.jpg

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ooops!! I ended up landing on the wrong planet...

listaparapartirdemo2sl.jpg

Seems like the right planet to me. :p

Is the mod that gives those flame effects the generic damage module? If so, it looks better than I remember.

Lunchbox

Reaction score
One time I was bringing in good ole' Columbia in at KSC 33. Perfect vertical speed, centreline and all that, but as I brought the nosewheel down one of my main wheels lifted up and I went for an unexpected tour of the shrubbery around the runway. not a good sight

Master of Blades

Reaction score
I Believe the shuttles system spotted a Knight of Ni, on the runway, and thus acted in self-preservation, considering the available means of survival

tomek

legal alien
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Is the mod that gives those flame effects the generic damage module? If so, it looks better than I remember.

I'm not sure, never used it myself, but there might be some enhanced texture pack around or something along those lines. Though now that I look closer at it, it's probably just Photoshop.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Not really, an oops, but very funny - I was trying out the latest version of Kurch's Universal Remote Manipulator last night, the scenario with the Shuttle-A and DG parked at KSC, with the ShuttlePB attached to the RMS. I switched to the PB, put the engine to full throttle, waited for thrust to max out and released from the RMS without controlling. Was pretty funny.

One oops I also did last night with Kurch's cargo addon - attached a shuttle SRB to a DG, but the SRB was already lit and I could not stop it so I ended up in the ocean off the coast of florida when it separated.

Lunchbox

Reaction score
I Believe the shuttles system spotted a Knight of Ni, on the runway, and thus acted in self-preservation, considering the available means of survival

perhaps as an add-on? That would be cool. I also committed a huge "d'oh!" moment today. Went in a DGIV. Wasn't thinking. Took off. Forgot to close the nosecone. :mad::censored::mad:

Hashy

Reaction score
Two days ago, testing out the Phoenix 1.6 Warp drive on a DGIV. Decided to goto Mars.. Hmm, cant see Mars from Earth, maybe perspective change will help.. So I line it out towards Venus, and sure enough, theres Mars, on the other side of the inner solar system, damn glarey sun..
So anyway, I get close to Mars, few thousands kilometres from the surface, holding steady, I decide to cut my warp drive.
So I happened to be in Mars path, it going back that way, while me still having the relative velocity from leaving Earth to begin with, going, the other way yes...

3,2,1, cleaned up by Red Planet.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No that is planet TNA... do not go there..... That planet has high levels of estrogen....

In fact, it's an estrogen-nitrogen atmosphere. And the pressure (to get your "checklist" completed) is not survivable by any man.

The probe Bachelor-1 was sent there years ago, and has not been heard from since....

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
perhaps as an add-on? That would be cool. I also committed a huge "d'oh!" moment today. Went in a DGIV. Wasn't thinking. Took off. Forgot to close the nosecone. :mad::censored::mad:
That's nothing. Just wait till you open it during re-entry, thinking that the K key operates the speed brake... I had about a millisecond to hear a little warning beep and then I was gone.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's nothing. Just wait till you open it during re-entry, thinking that the K key operates the speed brake... I had about a millisecond to hear a little warning beep and then I was gone.

Or when you finish an AMSO mission and fly a shuttle fleet mission...and instead of entering Item 777 on the GPCMFD, you press J to launch, then realizing what you did, instead of restarting the scenario, you go ahead and enter Item 777....

Attachments

• Shuttle Oops.JPG
    Shuttle Oops.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Shuttle Oops 2.JPG
    Shuttle Oops 2.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 18

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In fact, it's an estrogen-nitrogen atmosphere. And the pressure (to get your "checklist" completed) is not survivable by any man.

The probe Bachelor-1 was sent there years ago, and has not been heard from since....

Can't be that bad, could it be? :p