FSX discussion

Melvin

Reaction score
I am currently in Paris on the 7th leg of an around the world tour with the PMDG NGX 737-800. The tour took me so far from Chicago, to Boston, up to Gander, Greenland, Iceland, Dundee, London, Paris. Now I am heading to Rome, then east to Greece, Isreal, Dubai, India, then up through Eastern Asia, Russia, cross over into Alaska, then down the west coast of the US, then back to Chicago.

Yesterday into Paris-De galle, no precipiation (using real world weather with Active Sky Evo), but almost no visibility. Flew ILS CAT III with a DH of 50 feet AGL and using the AIII HGS mode. Beats autoland any day. As far as FSX goes, zero vis IFR landing is about as good as it gets.

I did a very similar around the world a couple years ago in the Lear jet. However, I started in Copenhagen and flew the Italy-Tunisia-Egypt-Dubai-India route.

Holy smokes is that hop over the Indian Ocean BORING. I did it with the sunset at my back, so at least I had a nice view. Landing at Chennai in the dark made it all worth it.

Happy flying! :tiphat:

Ark

Reaction score
Attempted to fly a Learjet from southern New Zealand to McMurdo Station.

Overshot the runway and went through the ice. :lol:

Melvin

Reaction score

Overshot the runway and went through the ice. :lol:

Is it just me and my crummy system, or is it hard to see that runway?

Maybe it's south pole station I'm thinking of? It's been a couple years.

I always enjoyed flying the Grand Caravan into Lukla and the surrounding airfields.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Ark said:

Overshot the runway and went through the ice.

Is it just me and my crummy system, or is it hard to see that runway?

Maybe it's south pole station I'm thinking of? It's been a couple years.

I always enjoyed flying the Grand Caravan into Lukla and the surrounding airfields.

Nope its an Ice runway, so its the almost the same texture as the snow on ether side.

Brakes are of no use on ice, you need reverse trust to taxi let alone stop, at least that is my experience.

Ark

Reaction score
Pretty sure that Learjet didn't have reverse thrust. If it did, I couldn't find the lever for it...

What do they usually fly for that run? For that matter, where do flights to McMurdo typically take off from?

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Well, since they are IFR-compatible, you could take off from anywhere in the world, and just tank mid-flight. However, they probably spend a night in NZ for crew rest before the flight to McMurdo.

Melvin

Reaction score
Pretty sure that Learjet didn't have reverse thrust. If it did, I couldn't find the lever for it...

What do they usually fly for that run? For that matter, where do flights to McMurdo typically take off from?

Actually, I'm positive the Lear had reverse thrust capabilities.

From what I've read, most (if not all) flights bound for McMurdo originate in Christchurch NZ. (CHC)

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yes, the LearJet has reverse thrusters. Pretty much every single modern jet aircraft has reverse thrust. Pretty much every turbine turbo prop has reverse thrust.

The levers are on the throttle, little levers that are on the main throttles that pulled back once the throttles are pulled to full idle.

In FSX, hold F2 to pull throttles into reverse or beta position.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just writing a program...

20111114171228000.jpg

Currently it is only creating random flightplans between the airports that the user enters, now I just need to calculate the distance and find the shortest route.

Could be usefull for around-the-world flights. As soon as it's done, I'll use it for an around-the-world flight to every country with airport.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
how are you going about the "shortest route"?

You plan on incorporating published procedures, airways, or just navaids?

If you use published procedures and airways, do you plan on having the database updateable?

I just say because this sort of thing is already sort of available in programs like FSBuild.

Lambo

I miss IRC
Reaction score
Speaking of Around-The-World flights:

I've been taking my PMDG 737-800WL NGX around the world as well, currently stuck in KFAR due to lack of sufficient free time.

Flightplan:

KPBI -> KJFK -> BIKF -> EGLL -> LOWI -> OMDB -> VOHS -> VHHX (Kai Tak) -> RJCC -> PANC -> KFAR -> KATL -> KPBI

My poor NGX has been a trooper as well, not one item has failed horribly on me yet (Service based failures are on).

Of course I've done the occasional insane flights... like landing at VQPR in the -800 and -600. Heck, I've even gone.. uhh.. Bush flying with the NGX. Nothing quite like taking the -800WL with the STOL kit and landing at some middle of nowhere airport in Alaska at ILS mins with a DME arc.

Forgot one insane flight. Full hydraulic failure about 20mins after takeoff in the -800WL (programmed failure). I was flying KPBI to KATL, hydraulic systems A & B both failed and all I had left was Standby Rudder. I circled around on manual reversion (and that was one wide circle) lined up for the ILS at KMCO dropped ALT FLAPs, found out the hard way the manual gear extension isn't modeled, grabbed the QRH for a belly landing and safely scraped down the runway at KMCO on my belly. Until FSX decided to bork in an extreme manner and extend my gear while I'm on the ground causing it to "CRASH" me. One flight I'll never forget.

Last edited:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
how are you going about the "shortest route"?

You plan on incorporating published procedures, airways, or just navaids?

If you use published procedures and airways, do you plan on having the database updateable?

I just say because this sort of thing is already sort of available in programs like FSBuild.

Well, I'll just take the distance from airport to airport ("as the crow flies"). And a database? I'm not that good at programming...

And currently "payware is not an option" for me, I just don't have the money for that.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I took quite the trip in a Cessna 172... I don't feel like listing all the stops, but I'll map it out for you guys... just give me a while.

---------- Post added at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

Here it is:
cessna172trip.jpg

*EDIT: Please note, this was not continuous and plenty of stops were made.

Awesome! I did a similar long trip in A2A'a Piper Cub. Very fun!

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I did one several years ago in FS9. Minneapolis to Seattle, to Los Angeles.

Was working on my eastbound route to Houston before I ran out of time and drive.

Oh, this was in a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocoupe_90"]Monocoupe 90[/ame].

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
I challenge someone to fly a Goodyear Blimp from Miami to Havana in bad weather. Very fun :)

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
youre so evul!!!!
lol, heres something less evil. I challenge someone to make a flight around the world in a Cessna 172, or in a Piper Cherokee. If thats still too evil, a flight from Ascension Island to NYC in a 747.