OHM Frontier: 55 Cancri

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
Frontier Add 640x512.jpg

Author: anemazoso

Updated with patch links
Frontier: 55 Cancri is a Sci-fi add-on for Orbiter space flight simulator. It is set in the system of 55 Cancri approx. 45 light-years in the direction of the constellation Cancer. Based on “Star Frontiers” rules it incorporates many ships, bases and space stations. The download is about 372 MB. This is chapter one and starts off with a contingent of human refugees entering the system after a long and tumultuous journey.

*This is a document that has the URL for the actual download.

Frontier: 55 Cancri team
Link fixed 12-11-09

DOWNLOAD

Reaction score
Has anything actually been updated, or is it just an updated link?

Art

Reaction score
DELETE

Last edited:

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Arrowstar made a review of this add-on at OH stating that we should have just posted the link on O-F instead of posting it as a doc on OH that contains the links for download.

The reason for this is because Art and I released this addon in 2006, before O-F existed and before Vash made it possible to link to another website from OH. When I updated the links today I just decided to keep it the same as it has been. We keep the download on Arts server because it is 372MB and we didn't want to burden OH with that large of a file. And ya, it is lookin a bit old at this point. It's hard for me to look at the bases now, the seem so....... premature. :lol: But it is probablly still the most extensive solar system add-on yet created.

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
Legacy Reviews

Legacy Add-on Reviews from Orbit Hangar Mods

Review by arrowstar
Review:
Probably would be better to post a link here in OHM than to have users download a file containing a link. Otherwise good.

Review by axel
Cons: Downloadrate 3-10kb/s or it abort
Review:
Why you dont put it on Orbithangar directly ? Near impossible to download it, at first try i had 60Kb/s, but it aborts after 222Mb :-(, now if i new try i have a very low rate of 3-10Kb/s, but i have 3000 DSL.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
i cant wait to see the updated product. especially a colony scenario. will there be extensive use of UMMU, resources, special colony/mother ships?

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i cant wait to see the updated product. especially a colony scenario. will there be extensive use of UMMU, resources, special colony/mother ships?

I would think so. Thats another thing that Cancri pre-dates......ummu. But as Art said this wont be updated till Orbiter'09 is released and it will prolly be several months after that.

Art

Reaction score
Animated characters in the colony building (this will be the primary scenario in the add-on). Several of the original's ships completely re-created...definitely. Planetary textures will be map-grade...no swirly tops etc. Pilots will have face textures that you can easily replace (with documentation). The aliens will look a little more Lucasfilm and less 3rd grade artwork.
Navigation will be HARD in the colony-building scenarios.

55Cancri will hopefully make use of Orlux, and put any new '09 features such as multiple lighting source definitions to good use.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good old Star Frontiers. 80s geek alert! Wonder of whoever owns the rights will ever bring it back in some form.

I've been watching you guys work on this on and off for a few years. Glad to see you're still around.

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good old Star Frontiers. 80s geek alert! Wonder of whoever owns the rights will ever bring it back in some form.

I've been watching you guys work on this on and off for a few years. Glad to see you're still around.

I think Art owns the rights.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Are you joking?

IIRC, TSR was sold to Wizards of the Coast (who also bought BattleTech when Fasa went under), and from there I lost track.

EDIT: According to wiki WOTC/Hasbro still owns it and some of its elements have been migrated to a newer game. All the pure Star Frontiers material produced since the Zebulon's Guide is apparently fan works.

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Arrowstar made a review of this add-on at OH stating that we should have just posted the link on O-F instead of posting it as a doc on OH that contains the links for download.

The reason for this is because Art and I released this addon in 2006, before O-F existed and before Vash made it possible to link to another website from OH. When I updated the links today I just decided to keep it the same as it has been. We keep the download on Arts server because it is 372MB and we didn't want to burden OH with that large of a file. And ya, it is lookin a bit old at this point. It's hard for me to look at the bases now, the seem so....... premature. :lol: But it is probablly still the most extensive solar system add-on yet created.

I did suggest that, yes. I was obviously passing along a suggestion on the off-chance you hadn't known about that functionality. I have to admit, to me, it seemed strange to download a TXT just to have to go back to the web browser with the URL. Not that I particular care, I was just thinking there may be a more direct route to the file. :)

Regardless, as I said in the review, good work. :)

Peskie

Reaction score
BitTorrent for Frontier55Cancri.zip

The reason for this is because Art and I released this addon in 2006, before O-F existed and before Vash made it possible to link to another website from OH. When I updated the links today I just decided to keep it the same as it has been. We keep the download on Arts server because it is 372MB and we didn't want to burden OH with that large of a file.

Given the size of the file and the slow download from hosting site (starfrontiers.org not OH) I've made a torrent available that just contains the *.zip file. Currently you can grab the torrent from torrage.com via this link: Frontier55Cancri.torrent

Enjoy. :cheers:

Last edited:

Biscuit

Donator
Reaction score
Star Frontiers ... Loved that game ... bought up everything (what little there was) I could find of it back in the day ... everyone wanted to just play standard AD&D ... blah. Still have the rulebooks around here somewhere ...

Art

Reaction score
Well, you can find, old, new, and in-between rules and links for Star Frontiers at StarFrontiers.org, StarFrontiers.com, StarFrontiers.info, and lots of other places. StarFrontiersman magazine comes out pretty regularly, and is edited by Tom Stephens, another Orbinaut. We have several PC games including ones on this page: http://starfrontiers.org/downloadables.asp

Anyone wanting to join the OCS project (based on Star Frontiers VECTOR rules tech) after '09 is released can also find us on the forums at Starfrontiers.org. Anyone wanting to get in on the Cancri update, or wants to pack something extra in with it, drop us a line!
-Art, Frontier Development Team Dude

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
id love to help out but sadly the only thing i have any skill with is 3d modeling. and even that is about the level that it was after one highschool semester. counselors wouldnt let me take the next tier of the class. i have some simple models in my album on my profile if u wanna check them out