Tutorial Free Azimuthal Map Resource

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Wish there was an easy, quick way to estimate a launch compass bearing to get to where you want to go? Check out this site:

http://ns6t.net/azimuth/azimuth.html

It is a free site. I have NO AFFILIATION with this site. I merely found it while pursuing my own needs and felt it was worthy of formally sharing with everyone.

For example: enter "Cape Canaveral" as location and experiment with the range to generate maps that show straight line compass bearings to other places around the world! I often Try to make sub-orbital hops to different landing sites and these azimuthal maps are excellent for estimating a bearing to start directing your velocity. Of course the rotation of the Earth will affect your actual trajectory, but for casual sight seeing or a good starting point for preliminary planning, this is hard to beat! :cheers:

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's a nice site, but can't you just open Map MFD and select your destination as a target (if you are going to a base)? Then you will get a pointer on the compass in the top of the screen.

But of course, if you are going to a place without a base, this is neat!

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
oh yeah. well. i play orbiter kinda weirdly. I like to mainly use the altimeter and a calculator and see how much I can do without the Orbit or Map MFDs, more paper planning and what not. I mainly posted it because I thought it was neat. If you use all the features of some of the ships (cough DGiv...cough) you dont even have to control anything! lol :lol: So I like things like paper references

richardwarwicks

Reaction score
Its not that weird,actually i find some fun in this orbiter,Many persons have different tastes some liked it some not....

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I really like it.

Ok there are other ways of geting a heading, but having a map of the world your home base as the centre is well cool. I can see it as a texture on the side of a building!!