Falcon 9 at Cape Canaveral

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Was the "spinning" of the second stage toward the end intentional? It seemed to be getting faster as the video went on...

AirSimming

Reaction score
did the rocket leave the pad before the clock read "0"?

I think so. That was the first thing I've noticed during live coverage. To me it seems that the pre-T-0 lift off was not intentional, since all connections were still attached to the vehicle at lift off. I don't know the timing/sequences, but the connections were separated when the vehcile was clearly off the ground, some 2 to 3 seconds after lift off, shortly before the clock read "0". You can see the connections "lift off" together with the vehicle. I don't think this is intentional isn't it? I guess the vehicle lifted off too early, while the connections were separated correctly shortly before T-0.

Just watch again and agin:

Anyway, it's all stuff that shouldn't be a big deal to fix I think ;)

Last edited:

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Was the "spinning" of the second stage toward the end intentional? It seemed to be getting faster as the video went on...
From what I've heard so far, no it was not planned, but didn't majorly affect the flight. It's a radiatively cooled nozzle, so they can't blame the regen stuff this time :p Though the chamber is regeneratively cooled however...

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks like they dodged at least one, and maybe more, bullets, and still managed to get to orbit. Good thing about that is that they will have lots of data to look at and work out the bugs in the system.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Unbelievable, a near-perfect launch on the first try!

No, it isn't.

Most of the hardware is just scaled up version of F1 and has already been flown. This time around, they also tested far more.

All the delays were very worth it.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Possible source of a "UFO" seen in Melbourne this morning? (Dad saw it)

It would appear so!

-----

NASA Watch said:
SpaceX update: Preliminary indications from NASA's recovery ship Freedom Star is that a debris field has been encountered in the area where the first stage was expected to be. Observation aircraft confirmed the debris field. No parachutes were observed during descent. Apparently the Falcon 9 first stage hit the water rather hard. Initial impact location is 32 deg 07'N, 069 deg 15'W.

Spaceflight Now: "Falcon 9 booster rockets into orbit on dramatic first launch".

BBC News'/Jonathan Amos' "Spaceman" Blog: "A 'great day' for the future of commercial space".

NASA Administrator Charlie Bolden's Statement On First Falcon 9 Launch.

NASA TV launch video:​

Launch as seen from VAB roof (zoomed in):​

Launch as seen from VAB roof (zoomed out):​

Last edited:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Unbelievable, a near-perfect launch on the first try!

can we really call it near-perfect launch? I mean first the FTS signal problem, then a computer problem, but they couldn't do anything about it, since it was a too sensitive sensor (did on purpose I believe) and after staging an unplanned roll...

so was it a near-perfect launch or just a good launch?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/05/2919095.htm said:
But Doug Moffett from UFO Research NSW says he has a few problems with this theory.

"Firstly, the time of the launch was 18.45 GMT, which translates to 4.45am EST, the duration of the flight was 9 minutes 38 seconds - this is a full hour before the reported sightings," he said.

"Secondly, where was the glow from the boosters or from the friction created by the craft moving through the atmosphere, where was the tail of the rocket?

"Thirdly, why would anyone launch a rocket on a maiden test flight with a trajectory that would take it over the most heavily populated parts of Australia?

"And how big must this rocket have been to be seen so clearly, at the same time, over such a vast distance?"
:rofl:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Well, assuming hes right about the timing of the sightings, it would discount the ability of the Falcon 9 to be responsible, but the rest of the info he gives is rather wild...

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
(Non relevant)

Last edited:

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just wanted to post this.

The size diffrence of the Falcon 1 and Falcon 9.

:cheers:

Attachments

• Size_falcons.png
    Size_falcons.png
    259.3 KB · Views: 54

AirSimming

Reaction score
Well, assuming hes right about the timing of the sightings, it would discount the ability of the Falcon 9 to be responsible, but the rest of the info he gives is rather wild...

The timing is almost perfect for the ability to see the rotating upper stage / Dragon crossing Australia about an hour after launch I guess.

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Spacex have inspired me once again. I think I'm finally going to *try* my hand at mesh making/addon making with the Falcon 9, if nothing else, for my own personal use. If it turns out halfway decent, maybe I'll release it, maybe not. Gotta start somewhere, right? And with the plethora of data available on the Falcon 9 I think it's a great place for me to start.

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wow, Brilliant, Awesome, etc. Way to go SpaceX!

Sadly: Missed it. No idea it was coming, haven't visited here in a while. What kind of irritates me is that this was really under-reported in the media. I'm SURE I checked the NY Times online a few times yesterday, and still wasn't tipped off, and I went there at least once after F9 had flown.

Media types: This launch is news of HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE...and most of you missed it. Who will launch astronauts from Florida for the US once the Space Shuttle is retired, hmm?

Regarding add-on: My Falcon 9 isn't as pretty as Glider's, but I've got full control of it. Anyone have a link to detailed launch trajectory info? I'll put together a "maiden flight" scenario with realistic trajectory. :thumbup: And update the meshes, textures, etc. to match the first flight. (All white...sort of reminds me of the first few space shuttles.)

Link to that add-on: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3308"]Falcon 9 - Dragon Beta 3[/ame]

Last edited:

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Media types: This launch is news of HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE...and most of you missed it. Who will launch astronauts from Florida for the US once the Space Shuttle is retired, hmm?

CNN and Fox news had very good coverage of the launch on both the abort, and the actual flight. I was actually fairly impressed with both of them.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Who will launch astronauts from Florida for the US once the Space Shuttle is retired, hmm?

ULA is partnering with private companies:

1. Atlas V 401 rocket + (Unnamed capsule) (Boeing / ULA / Bigelow Aerospace)

Technical Status: Atlas V is operational with multiple unmanned flights, but still needs to be man-rated (whatever that means). Early design stages of the capsule.
Funding Status: Good. Recently was awarded $18 million from NASA to develop the concept.
Domain: LEO.

1. Atlas V 402 rocket + Dream Chaser spacecraft (ULA / Sierra Nevada Corporation)

Technical Status: Some design heritage and NASA wind tunnel tests based on the HL-20 lifting body. Atlas V 431 is operational, but must still be man-rated.
Funding Status: Good, for the time being. Was recently awarded $20 million by NASA to pursue the concept. Unclear if they have outside resources other than NASA.

Here is a link to the complete article:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/2/22/18418/3198

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
CNN and Fox news had very good coverage of the launch on both the abort, and the actual flight. I was actually fairly impressed with both of them.

Thanks, guys, sorry to sound so grumpy (I actually am). Covered at least on Fox and CNN? TV? Good to hear. Looks like I ought to adjust my media sources. ;)

I've been colossally busy these days, and while I thought about SpaceX every day and knew the launch was coming, I figured I'd get some advance warning. Oh well.

Regarding ULA and others, how likely are they to win enough "bucks for Buck Rogers" to make their manned spaceflight plans a reality? I mean, SpaceX is like, well on their way, with the success of F9 #1. Nothing succeeds like...success.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
But Atlas V has had plenty of successes. And the funding status for these partnerships seems to be doing well as of now. Besides, ULA is a joint effort and has experience unlike SpaceX.