News Explorer Henry Worsley dies in Antarctic crossing

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35398552

Title is a bit misleading, he died in hospital after being rescued.

I've never heard of him before, seems a decent sort, but I find it hard to have much sympathy for these "adventures".
The "romantic" age of Polar exploration is long gone. These treks just put other people at risk.

Comments?

N.

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
"...Mr Worsley, who was raising money for the Endeavour Fund, a charity which helps wounded servicemen and women..."

In the end, he was doing it for a great cause. Unfortunately, I think his plan of going alone and without external resupply greatly underestimated the challenges to come.

From the same article: "Mr Worsley had passed his target of raising £100,000...". So, in the end, he left a great gift for those that need it most.

Unfortunately, I think it was quite foolish to do it the way he did. And he ended up paying the ultimate sacrifice. It's sad.

But I believe trips like this will continue. Why? Because the Antarctic is there. The same reason people attempt to summit the highest peaks in the world, even while people die every year. No reason, other than the fact that "it is there". Part of the human spirit I suppose.

And then, of course, there are the filthy rich people that do it just because they can afford to finance their own expeditions and have a picture to hang in the smoking lounge to impress other filthy rich people. While I can appreciate their accomplishment, I don't necessarily have a lot of respect for them. But that's just my opinion.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
His legacy is that money raised, maybe he could have raised more doing less dangerous expeditions over a longer time? I haven't a problem with that.
It seems that the danger attracts more sponsors, and that just feels wrong. He probably had a strong personal need to do it, certainly seems that way. Just heard he is related to one of Shackleton's crew.

N.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's basically a fancier version of snowboarding and skateboarding and other "extreme" adrenaline junky type sports. Even if it is for a worthy cause (questionable), there are ways of making money that don't involve doing something so risky.

So, no, I don't feel particularly sorry for people who do this, but I'm not heartless. It sounds like a nasty way to die but he's responsible for it.

As for putting other people at risk, those people volunteered for those jobs, but they should be allowed to refuse help to people who do things like this. You want to walk across the South Pole? Fine, but you're on your own.

Last edited:

Furet

Reaction score
And then, of course, there are the filthy rich people that do it just because they can afford to finance their own expeditions and have a picture to hang in the smoking lounge to impress other filthy rich people.

It's basically a fancier version of snowboarding and skateboarding and other "extreme" adrenaline junky type sports.

Could be, but a truly mountain climber and polar traveller would rather agree with this:

“The first great thing is to find yourself, and for that you need solitude and contemplation: at least sometimes. I tell you, deliverance will not come from the rushing, noisy centres of civilization. It will come from the lonely places.”

Fridtjof Nansen (1861-1930)

RIP.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, distantly related to the Captain of the Endeavour I think, explains a lot. He was only 54, shocking waste, but that's just my view.

N.