Expansion of the Universe ?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
When I was just ot of high school, in the seventies (God has it been that long?) Carl Sagan was explaining how the universe's expansion was slowing down. Now it is expanding at an ever faster rate than realized. What happened since then ?

Jarvitä

Reaction score
People putting their own spin on "we don't know (yet)" happened. But I'd bet on the universe constantly expanding 'forever' and eventually settling on maximum entropy.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Eye correction?
It can as well contract, there is a set of consistent theories for that.
I guess the commonly accepted theory slides here and there as new findings pour in. Models won't converge to these new observations, so models get updated to fit again. Does not mean the models are absolutely true, just one of the best guesses around what we'd seen so far.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
As far as I know, the discovery of dark energy happened.

I don't know the teachings from the seventies (I was concerned with more primal needs back then :p). From your description, I would say the predicted slowing was based on gravity slowing down the relative velocities between objects and it did not take into account the cosmological constant.

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
What about this dark energy thing they are trying to figure out? http://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy/
Maybe it was there the whole time before the big bang. Maybe the big bang exploded into it? It is almost as if we were in a giant inverted black hole. Instead of being sucked into it we are being expelled from it. Thoughts?

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When I was just ot of high school, in the seventies (God has it been that long?) Carl Sagan was explaining how the universe's expansion was slowing down. Now it is expanding at an ever faster rate than realized. What happened since then ?

And according to the physics as we understand it now, it should be slowing down... but there's some fundamental thing, possibly a force, that we haven't discovered yet... something is pushing the universe apart.

Krikkit

Reaction score
I had a professor once give me his opinion on this, without using dark energy.

His theory was that universal expansion was not slowing down. He thought that the the universe must be spherical, or any geometric shape with a high volume to surface area ratio, and that instead of actually slowing down, the universe was still increasing at the same change in volume rate. It was the apparent motion of objects we observe that make it seem like it is slowing down.

Like making two dots side by side on a balloon and then blowing air into it at a constant rate. The dots will move away from each other much more quickly as soon as the rubber starts stretching than later when the balloon is almost full.

He was not a cosmologist, though. He was a solid state physicist working on semi conductors. But his explanation sounded a lot more elegant to me than when my astrophysics professor answered the same question by talking about some hypothetical matter that all of the sudden recently decided it wanted to act on the expansion of the universe. Although Dark Matter/Energy research has come a long way in the past 6 years, its not looking so hypothetical now.

Last edited:

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Got an antropocentric explanation: the Universe learned about our existence and is fleeing from humanity...