Request elite and halo

.-.. --- ... -
Reaction score
ok, i have found very little to none of these things.
1. does anyone know where i can get halo stuff, from, yes i am a fanboy and halo is my life.
2. while i am not playing halo, i am playing elite, and can find very little to do with that,
des anyone know where i can find more for this?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Do you want an addon or the actual thing? There curently is no addon for Halo that I know of. Of course it can be done, but I am working on something else right now.

Overmind5000

DGIV Areonautics expert
Reaction score
I made this request a while back. Still, It would be cool to see Halo ships in Orbiter.

forcestealer

Reaction score
it may be a little far fetched and beyond orbiter's ability...but it would be cool to see an actual ring world...with a working atmosphere and everything...

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've always thought this would be cool to do, but have yet to find the time to get into addon developing. I'd love to see the Pillar of Autumn, with Captain Keyes at the helm.

.-.. --- ... -
Reaction score
oh, i allready got oolite.
how easy is it to make new stuff for orbiter, becase if it at around my level, (so really easy) i might have a go, but if not, ill just stick with the awesome stuff that is allready available

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Well, it takes lots of time and effort to begin developing and publishing addons. If you would like to start making addons, I recommend you start editing scenario files and bases. It will get you acquainted with all of the confusing words and numbers in the cfg. file. Then you can learn how to model with some tutorials on Orbit Hangar. After that there are a couple tutorials including mine that teaches you how to make a multistage rocket. Right now it is being revised on though.

Thanks!

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
how easy is it to make new stuff for orbiter, becase if it at around my level, (so really easy) i might have a go, but if not, ill just stick with the awesome stuff that is allready available

Do you happen to know FFED3D?

E

ex-orbinaut

I didn't know there were many Elite fans around these days.

One still alive here! ;)

The original Elite I played for hours on the Spectrum 48K. Though more things happened in your imagination than on the screen, it really was THE iconic game that opened up a whole new philosophy in simulator gameplay.

Frontier was out by the time I got around to my own Amiga days.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Oolite has pretty simple ship models. You could make spacecraft3 versions of most of the ships and stations (pretty textures and all) in a few hours. I've actually been wanting a dodecahedron station for a while.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Oolite is open source so the models and textures should be easy to acquire. (Ask permissions! {they will say yes, just credit them properly})

I don't have it installed anymore but I think that information was zipped into a database. You'll have to check/ask around to find out. Heck, I bet you could write a script to convert the meshes and generate the SC3 files.

E

ex-orbinaut

Oolite is open source so the models and textures should be easy to acquire. (Ask permissions! {they will say yes, just credit them properly})

I don't have it installed anymore but I think that information was zipped into a database. You'll have to check/ask around to find out. Heck, I bet you could write a script to convert the meshes and generate the SC3 files.

To state the truth, as a hardened, long time Elite fan, I was actually considering making the old Elite fleet for Orbiter before this thread was started, and already had a couple of an8 preliminary models made (Cobra and Python) quite a while ago, before I ever posted any add ons myself on OHM. I may as well expose what my intentions were right now, as it is a large-ish sort of project, and someone might like to cooperate in bringing it to fruition in due course. I thought it would be nice to have the "Realistic Physics Elite" on Orbiter...

Some of the ideas;
1. I was thinking of doing the ships with dll modules, mainly because of the flexibility, expandability and just the sheer "class" they allow the vessel to have.

2. Make a specific solar system, with plenty of planets.

3. Perhaps elaborate a trade function, based on Elite's original. It could either be an MFD, or built into each ships own module instance. Doesn´t make much difference for the desired effect.

4. If possible, make a market system specific to each planet with celbody class (this is the reason I am playing around with making comet dll's, as a prototype for this idea, to see just how much programming you can cram into a celbody).

5. In the long term, there is no reason why even a simple combat routine might not be implemented (one of the reasons why it should be dll).

6. I do believe, from what I deduce in the API Reference, that the hyperspace between planets CAN be simulated with out too much grief, BTW, but again, needs to be a dll.

7. Upload the whole package as one big, main add on, after it has been properly beta tested. I am a bit averse to the uploading "snippet ships" unless they have a specific, tutorial type purpose.

Now, I was keeping this on the back burner for several reasons. I am completing another, reasonably complex add on at present. I am pretty busy at work at the moment. And finally, I am completing the transition from Visual Basic, which I have used for years now, to Visual C++ (thanks for the push, Orbiter!).

For VC++ to be worth the while for me (work wise, I mean), I have to be able to do on it what I did on VB, with Windows, which has sidetracked me a bit. But I am pleased to say it has not really been too difficult a transition, thanks to some previous C experience and of course, help from this forum (thanks!). Therefore, I will be able to provide the generic dll's for the project for those who might want to join in on this project and hurry it along but are not keen on VC (it could be well over a year, otherwise).

It will be a little while before I am free to address this topic again, personally, but I leave this as testimony as to what I had in mind.

What do you all think? Good idea? A definite no go? Any ideas? If it is a go, then someone could start a social group for it...

Thank you for your attention.

Cerebus

Lurking
Donator
Reaction score
Ah, I'm afraid this whole discussion took me back a few years to playing Elite on my (then) state of the art Spectrum 48+.

And being the sort of guy who can't give up on a good thing, I have to report that, yes Elite is old, however it's not quite dead, apart from Oolite ( fun, but not quite the same), there are a few 'reverse engineered' updated executables available for elite, my favourite being GLffe, it's Elite, but not as we know it :)

Oh, and I'm dabbling in modelling the Top Dog of Elite's fleet, the glorious Asp Explorer.

Just a quick Spacecraft3 hack just now, but it's getting there :)

E

ex-orbinaut

Ah, I'm afraid this whole discussion took me back a few years to playing Elite on my (then) state of the art Spectrum 48+.

And being the sort of guy who can't give up on a good thing, I have to report that, yes Elite is old, however it's not quite dead, apart from Oolite ( fun, but not quite the same), there are a few 'reverse engineered' updated executables available for elite, my favourite being GLffe, it's Elite, but not as we know it :)

Oh, and I'm dabbling in modelling the Top Dog of Elite's fleet, the glorious Asp Explorer.

Just a quick Spacecraft3 hack just now, but it's getting there :)

Frontier First Encounters...

Have you still got your Speccy? Otherwise, nostalgia avenue below...

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/

Reccommend the Klive emulator... runs snapshots, well... a snap!

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Keith, I'm carrying most of your ideas along with me for several years now (allthough not elite related), and I think it's something that a lot of people here would love to see. Since I allready spent years thinking about it all, however, I might as well point out some of the problems you will be facing:

2. Make a specific solar system, with plenty of planets.

The good news is, you wouldn't be limited to one system. There's MsssMFD that is a very good proof of concept that solar system switching in Orbiter works well by reloading the scenario. Of course its generating routines, be it for textures or for systems, are very basic, But I so happen to be developing something more sophisticated that uses the same concept a.t.m. That doesn't neccessarily mean that I will finish it, though, but it would sure be a possibility.

3. Perhaps elaborate a trade function, based on Elite's original. It could either be an MFD, or built into each ships own module instance. Doesn´t make much difference for the desired effect.

As long as you don't have too high quality standards, this would be not too difficult to do. It gets a pain when you want the actual physical payload displayed on the ships, and when you want to use popular orbiter ships like DGIV or the XRs to be compatible.

4. If possible, make a market system specific to each planet with celbody class (this is the reason I am playing around with making comet dll's, as a prototype for this idea, to see just how much programming you can cram into a celbody).

Good news here too, you DON'T have to cram a market system into the cellbody class. It can run completely independantly from the planet, simply associating with the planets name. You can even do a seperate market system for every spaceport that way. There's no real need to put it in the cellbody. After all, if you write a vessel dll, you don't pack your code into the vessel class. You pack the vessel class into your code!

5. In the long term, there is no reason why even a simple combat routine might not be implemented (one of the reasons why it should be dll).

Now, here comes the real pain. I have decided that, if I ever get far enough in my ambition to sum all up into an actual game, It most probably would not have combat, but have more of a starflight character. Combat is VERY tough for one reason: AI.
Now, to implement some simple routines to make an enemy ship turn in to you and shoot stuff at you is doable (actually, it HAS been done. search the addon forum for "shooter"). making an AI that takes sensible action in combat is far more difficult, but if you're good at AI, still possible.
However, doing an AI that is able to get around the solar system and to intercept you is a task worthy of a NASA engineer. I can only think of two persons here that could maybe pull it off, one being Jarmonik and the other one probably Martin himself.
There are ways out of this however. Since you're very elite-focused, I'd expect you to use FFE stats of the ships. These are so overpowered that you can practically neglect gravity in course calculation, making the task an essentially easy one.
The other one, an original elite style hyperdrive, would make the situation even easier. Intercepts become random encounters that way.
If you want to work with more realistic stats, however, It is as close to impossible as I can imagine, unless you make just plain simple random encounters, something like "oops, that bastard has been chasing us for the last two weeks, and my observation post never once noticed his exhaust that must have been been brighter than the sun for at least the last 3 days!"

6. I do believe, from what I deduce in the API Reference, that the hyperspace between planets CAN be simulated with out too much grief, BTW, but again, needs to be a dll.

Don't worry. least of your problems. check out Artlavs WarpDrive mfd, which simulates a Startreckian linear drive, or the ships of the rag tag fleet, which have a BGian discontinuity drive built in, if I'm not mistaken. That would fit the original elite model better.