TransferMFD DV not decreasing when applying full throttle?

Feuver

Reaction score
Well, I've been following a tutorial to learn how to play around with Orbiter. I've done the Translations/Hover tutorial, I've set up an orbit, but I need help when it comes to tranfer Earth Orbit to the Moon's orbit. Now, I've followed my tutorial correctly and configured the Transfer MFD to target the moon with the DV and the EJ, but there's a small issue. When I get to the DTE and I push my engine to the max, my DV doesn't decrease like it's supposed to, and the Transfer MFD goes crazy and bug.

My orbit is currently stable, I'm in prograde 60 seconds DTE, at 30 seconds of DTE I push my engine to the max.

Sometimes, it works and the DV decrease and gives me an orbit around the moon, but other times, it just stays the same number and I go off in unknown space.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think I've had a similar issue before (long time ago). You aren't by any chance using the time acceleration just before your TLI burn? I think all my troubles seemed to be blamed on that, I quit doing it and it quit happening.
I also got into the habit of doing a quiksave about 30 seconds before the burn, just so I didn't have to do the whole flight up again to that point.

Your technique sounds like it's right out of the tutorial, so it's nothing wrong that you are doing, it may just be a quirk...
Out of curiosity, what craft are you flying?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How consistently does this happen? I can't reliably reproduce this bug, but it has happened to me before, although very rarely. I only fixed it by switching to a different navigation tool. (IMFD, although you may want to look at Lunar Transfer MFD on the same page, instead.)

Feuver

Reaction score
I think it's due to Time acceleration as well. I think it was due to me activating pro grade and accelerating too much.

It seems to work if I really take my time. Gotta learn to be patient ( I suck in that department, I like to do a lot of things real fast )

I'm really following Go play in Space, I gotta say without it I would be at a complete loss in Orbiter. God bless Bruce Irving

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
Clicking anything on the mfd just prior to your burn will fix this. It happens to me if I change views after setting up my transfer, but never happens if I remember to adjust anything on the mfd, like adjusting the Eject time up and down, for example. Just don't do anything between that and the burn.:)

:welcome: to the forum, by the way.:)

:hailprobe:

Last edited:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Always do burns in real time.

bande

Neofita
Reaction score
I had a similar problem: after firing main engines, instead of modifying the real trajectory, it influenced the HTO, just like I added more delta-v, so that it spinned out in an hyperbloic orbit.
you should learn to handle IMFD, it's way better, after managing that, you won't come back to TransferMFD.

Chuckosan

Reaction score
OK, just made my first earth-moon flight. Trying to go to Mars. Or anywhere else. TransferMFD doesn't let me lock onto anything other than the Earth or the moon. What am I doing wrong?

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

Sorry in advance. Wrong place. Thought this was a TransferMFD dedicated thread.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Assuming you are in Earth orbit, you have to select Earth as source in the MFD (SRC button IIRC). Assuming you are in Moon orbit... well tough luck, then... or go buy TransX for 0$!!