General Question DOCKING TO ISS

Termi678

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to Orbiter, followed Tex tutorial for beginners KCS to ISS, my only problem is when almost close to docking, the ISS seems to be tilted or in the wrong orientation for docking.

Have tried altitude thrusters for rotation around transverse axis (pitch) using 2/8 num keys but this just make it go up or down but no rotation.

Have watched videos on you tube about ISS docking and it looks perfectly straight during the docking process.

The only way for me to dock is using the PRO300SPEC0 auto docking, this works every time but would like to try without the autopilot assist.
Hope someone in the forum can help me.

Thanks in advance

:cheers:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Are you using a laptop? Just curious...

If you have a "conventional" desktop keyboard, the numpad [/] key (above the [8]) toggles between translation mode and rotation mode.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
the ISS seems to be tilted or in the wrong orientation for docking.

Which will always be the case. Also, depends if you are using the stock Orbiter ISS, which is an inert "stable" object with even mass distribution, or addons in which its an assembly of modules that uses CMGs to keep a given orientation.

Termi678

Reaction score
Hi,
I am using a desktop computer and know the basic keyboard commands but for the life of me, cannot rotate the ISS around the X Axis. Would love to complete my first docking, have tried different options to no avail.

Please, see attached jpg
Thanks for all your help,

Attachments

• ISS DOCKING.pdf
    134.2 KB · Views: 10

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Ah you are trying to rotate the ISS? If you are using the stock ISS that comes with Orbiter, the short answer is, you can't (without some modifications). You have to maneuver your craft to match it.

If you get the CMG addon (it has dependencies, so you'll need those as well), then you can dock the CMG to the ISS and have it in a constant state (such as prograde with a level horizon). By the time you get all the dependencies, you might as well just run ISS 3.2 with ISS A-Z. Much more visually appealing.

Termi678

Reaction score
Phantom Cruiser,

AWESOME ! ! that is exactly what i am trying to do. N Molson also mentioned add on, such as CMGs.

I am going to follow your advise and google ISS 3.2 with A-Z to see if i can download and install.

After so many tries, hopefully will find ISS 3.2. The learning curve just to dock with ISS is very steep for a beginner. Can't wait to perform my first ISS docking ! !

Thanks in advance to you and N Molson for your help and support ! !

Termi678

Reaction score
Phantom Cruiser,
I am a little confused about Docking with ISS using the Delta-glider / DeltaGliderIV.

Watched many videos including TEX DG4 to ISS and most of David Courtney's, it looks like they are running old versions of Orbiter. David is running Orbiter 2010 and TEX Orbiter 2006+P1 do not work on my computer.

Installed both Orbiters 2010 and 2016 and when i get to the ISS docking portion of the flight, on my end everything is in disarray. There is no way i can dock with 2010 or 2016.

Look for add ons to rotate the ISS with ISS 3.2 with ISS A-Z like you mentioned but the downloads and installation are very confusing.

Please, can you suggest what Orbiter version will be the best option to dock with the ISS? This is my main goal right now a successful ISS docking without using the autopilot.
I refuse to give up after spending many hours of Orbiter training.
Thanks for your help and support ! !

:confused:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
ISS 3.2 [ame="https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3737"]Just a moment...[/ame]
A-Z [ame="https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5633"]Just a moment...[/ame]

As far as which Orbiter version is best, they should all work. What do you mean by "disarray"?

I typically run Orbiter 2016, but I do still use 2010 for several things. And even run 2006 on occasion.

Try the scenario with the Shuttle-A "ISS approach". When it starts you will be set up for an approach to the ISS, just watch the DockMFD and 'fly the needles' until dock. The (also using DockMFD) set a different dock as the target (don't forget to hit the [HUD] button to transfer that information to the Hud), undock, and fly to the new docking port using your translation and rotational thrusters. Practice, practice, practice.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You're welcome. As for the 2010 vs 2016 debate... Please try to stick to 2016. If people don't, its a bit like "why develop a newer version while users stick to an old one ?". And it features terrain, which makes say a lunar landing much more realistic. And you have XRsound + the XR fleet working and updated for 2016.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Hi Termi678, the first ISS docking is always a bit complicated...
I don't get the tilted ISS part. It sounds as you didn't select a docking port in the COM MFD, as doing that slaves the docking graphics on the screen in order to present your ship with the correct orientation (after some manual manoeuvering, of course).

I'm not at my pc now, bur as for stabilizing the default ISS that comes with Orbiter, we used to press F3, jump into the station, press NumPad5 (killrot), then go back in our ship with another F3.

Last edited:

Termi678

Reaction score
Hello,
Phantom Cruiser,

Docking to the ISS is an impossible dream for me :facepalm: Maybe, someday i will be able to dock, Ha, Ha :lol:

Using valuable tips from you, N Molson and Ripley, managed to get close to the ISS, setup all the NAV frequencies and used rotation and translation trusters to get close but still the position is not straight for docking.

Don't know why the ISS got so big when i get near it, maybe it is the FOV?
Attached are jpegs near the ISS from the DeltaGlider / outside view.

I am using Orbiter 2010 for this tryout

Will appreciate any additional comments that you may have.
Thanks again,

Termi678

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Not impossible, it just takes practice. And if you follow the video from Tex, be sure to open the nosecone prior to docking :rofl:

Like I mentioned above, run the Shuttle-A scenario where you are already docked. Undock and back away. Then translate forward and dock again. Do that a few times to get a 'feel' for the controls. Then try switching to a different dock.

If you can take off from a runway and fly to an ISS intercept, you've already accomplished quite a lot. Don't sell yourself short. Docking is just the next step.

Termi678

Reaction score
Phantom Cruiser,

Your advise, Practice, Practice, Practice finally paid off. Yesterday my DeltaGlider docked successfully to the ISS. AWESOME ! ! :)

Docking is still a major challenge but of course will try again a few more times. The last step was extremely difficult, using rotation mode to place the X in the center was not too bad but to place the + sign in the center using translation thrusters was extremely difficult.

My joystick response to translation thrusters is very laggy, don't know if it has to do with the deadzone adjustment.
I am using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and never had any problems with it.

Will try the Shuttle-A scenerio that you mentioned
Thanks to you, N Molson and Ripley for providing many useful tips to accomplish my first ISS successful docking :cheers:

Great feeling after docking.

Temi678

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Excellent! Major objective achieved! After all this time I still remember how pleased I was when I first managed to dock to the ISS.

Your fun is only beginning.