Project DGIV Skin with Shuttle style TPS tiles

Kevon Daye

Smoking Crater
Reaction score
Iv'e been working on a DGIV skin with shuttle style TPS tiles on the underside and leading edges of the wings:

This is still a work in progress (my dumb:censored: forgot to delete the notes layer on one of the files, and now I can't find the original .psd:compbash:)

This is my first skin and is more of a proof of concept than anything. Maybe if I can perfect it a Little more I'll upload it.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
how do you keep the resolution when you are exporting those? my skins loose dither themselves a bunch when I export them??

Kevon Daye

Smoking Crater
Reaction score
how do you keep the resolution when you are exporting those? my skins loose dither themselves a bunch when I export them??
I just selected a portion of the TPS tiles from the shuttle (Shuttle Fleet Columbia in this case), scaled it up, copied it, then pasted it repeatedly, moving it around accordingly.

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Version 2:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
i meant the skin looks nice and high resolution, the whole skin. it's much higher resolution than the files included in the SDK. I never really textured anything before so i didnt think I could change the resolution. is the texture based on ratios instead of pixel counts? It looks like I can just make bigger files and they will be higher resolution eh? By this I mean if it were (random numbers) something like 1000x1000 pixels, I could make a file that was 5000x5000 pixels and keep the template.... I'll just try it and see what happens! what size are your texture maps?

Kevon Daye

Smoking Crater
Reaction score
i meant the skin looks nice and high resolution, the whole skin. it's much higher resolution than the files included in the SDK. I never really textured anything before so i didnt think I could change the resolution. is the texture based on ratios instead of pixel counts? It looks like I can just make bigger files and they will be higher resolution eh? By this I mean if it were (random numbers) something like 1000x1000 pixels, I could make a file that was 5000x5000 pixels and keep the template.... I'll just try it and see what happens! what size are your texture maps?

I honestly don't know the sizes on anything, I was too tired to really pay attention. My best guess is that the reason the resolution is high is because
I'm using Spike's template, which may be a higher resolution that the default SDK, I don't know.

Spike Spiegel

Reaction score
Yep. The original textures are 1024x1024, the ones I made are 2048x2048.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So having the tiles only near the middle is an Orbiter limitation? Bummer. You can ignore that part of my post in this addon's comments thread then. I really like the way this one looks.

Kevon Daye

Smoking Crater
Reaction score
Okay, fixed a few Issues I had with it. Most notably the the fuselage and wings are now completely covered by white tiles, the markings have been scaled up and straightened out, and the cockpit area is now covered with black tiles:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
So having the tiles only near the middle is an Orbiter limitation? Bummer. You can ignore that part of my post in this addon's comments thread then. I really like the way this one looks.

naw it's not a limitation of Orbiter, its just the way that the delta glider is specifically textured, it has the same design on the top and bottom of the wings, so you can't have wings that are black on the bottom and white on the top!