Question Daft Question, Seats on ISS

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am having a go at modelling a "pod" that crew from a DGiv can go into to spend a few days while the DG orbits the Moon. i.e. to too much to ask that they stay seated in the DG for the duration of the mission. To give a human feel to the place I was going to add a table and chair they could sit at while they dine. Its weightless so o.k. a lap strap stops you floating away but then I thought there is no tables on the ISS!!!

Is this just a weight/cost issue or am I missing something.

3 guys just "sat around" on the way to the moon. O.K. this was something you did once in your life, you had 100 things to do and it was only 3 days so not really the same (humour). It is somewhat different on the ISS, we are talking 3 months not 3 days.

So is there a point to some where to sit in a "pod" while weightless?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is this just a weight/cost issue or am I missing something.

Tables are for putting things on them so you don't have to put them on the floor. Free fall tends to make them a bit redundant. A simple clip to anchor your food tray serves perfectly fine.

So is there a point to some where to sit in a "pod" while weightless?

Not really. In fact, a pod that just provides some empty space to stretch your legs and has some sleeping bags in the walls seems preferable.

Last edited:

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response, Jedidia.

What about the human contact element. 4 or 5 sat round talking the day through.

In the roof I plan a number of consoles which you would hook up to so you do not drift off while uploading data/ reviewing status and the like. This would be more for the off duty time. The alternative is 5 bits of velcro around the water cooler!!

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What about the human contact element. 4 or 5 sat round talking the day through.

Under these conditions, the trick is reducing the human contact element, not furthering it :lol:

4 or 5 guys can just as well float around and talk the day through. It's not like they have the space to evade each other.

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for that video, so its table but no chairs. Saves a few bits of meshes !!