Request Curiosity Rover

jjake101

Reaction score
Could someone create an addon where you can land the curiosity rover and drive around on mars?

rct3master44

Reaction score
I'm so amazed about how nobody responded to this.:rofl:
I can't help you,I have windows 7.:dry:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm so amazed about how nobody responded to this.:rofl:
I can't help you,I have windows 7.:dry:

I have Windows 7, and that's not stopping me from developping my Shuttle PB Mk2. So, may be you don't want or don't know, but Windows 7 is not the problem.

rct3master44

Reaction score
I don't have a program for animating that works for Windows7.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I do appreciate non-sense humor!
Keeping in spirit I also can't help because I have Android! :rofl:

Now more serious: Orbiter is not well suited for surface exploration. You can simulate a landing, and you can have terrain, but driving over terrain is not supported in a consistent form.

So when people decide to do an add-on, they will naturally devote their time to things that Orbiter does much better, like space-stations for example.

And even if you had 3D terrain, a realistic rover simulation would involve time delayed commands and some sort of programming. It's not something you drive in real time using a VC!:lol:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Orbiter is not well suited for surface exploration. You can simulate a landing, and you can have terrain, but driving over terrain is not supported in a consistent form.

So when people decide to do an add-on, they will naturally devote their time to things that Orbiter does much better, like space-stations for example.

And even if you had 3D terrain, a realistic rover simulation would involve time delayed commands and some sort of programming. It's not something you drive in real time using a VC!:lol:

Why the MER Rovers add-on so ?
You can perfectly recreate the whole flight to Mars, the EDL (witch is harder than Spirit and Opportunity because it is controlled) and the final descent, with the skycrane, etc etc ... The exploration is the "small" part and the "less intresting", thus in Orbiter.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
The OP is interested in landing and driving around, not so much in getting there. So I gave my explanation as to why the driving part seems to draw little interest.
That was the original question, as far as I understand it... not why we don't have add-on X but have add-on Y.

I agreed that the EDL would be VERY interesting to simulate!
Perhaps just that part... and perhaps with other cargos besides Curiosity...

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The OP is interested in landing and driving around, not so much in getting there. So I gave my explanation as to why the driving part seems to draw little interest.
That was the original question, as far as I understand it... not why we don't have add-on X but have add-on Y.

I agreed that the EDL would be VERY interesting to simulate!
Perhaps just that part... and perhaps with other cargos besides Curiosity...

Yeah, the EDL would probably be a hit with most orbinauts. Why not just have the rover spawned as a UCGO car with no crew? Orulex UCGO collisions would allow it to drive around pretty nicely on terrain.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Even if you could not easily create a drivable rover add-on, a static one would be great. We already have a Gale crater add-on, having a rover to put in it would add for say, a scenario to find and repair/recover said rover. I would love to be able to do this with the viking lander as well, find it, and enshrine it in a UCGO glass dome.

rct3master44

Reaction score
Thanks for the help!I'm going to start my first addon for orbiter!:tiphat: