Installation Correct File Paths

captjdk

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi all, been awhile, but I have a fresh install on a different computer. I know this may sound like a stupid question...the basic install was fine. All the MFD add ons are extracting to my desktop.

What are the correct file paths to install all the different add on files into Orbiter. Just dropping the folder into the Orbiter folder is not working.

Lets start with say...Base Sync

Thanks

Dave K
-excellent pilot, lousy computer guy-

Linguofreak

Reaction score
It can depend a bit on how the addon is packaged, but most of the time unzipping into the main Orbiter directory, then activating any modules in the launchpad, works. On the off chance that you're running Orbiter in Stone on Linux, you may have to merge folders that have capitalization differences in the folder name, as Linux is case sensitive and Windows isn't.

captjdk

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the reply. I tried putting them into the main orbiter folder, the one that has the orbiter.exe file, but nothing shows up on the launchpad. Do I copy each file in say the Config folder to the Config folder in orbiter. Do I have to do that with each folder within the add-on ?

thanks,

Dave K

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Do I copy each file in say the Config folder to the Config folder in orbiter. Do I have to do that with each folder within the add-on ?

Wait... Are you dragging and dropping each file individually? Normally, if the author has packed the addon sensibly, and if you unpack the zip file into your main Orbiter directory, all the files in the root of the zip file should end up in your mason Orbiter folder, all the files in the Config directory in the zip file should end up in the Config file in your Orbiter directory, and so forth, automatically, without you having to designate where each one goes.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As for MFD's, they rarely include scenario files, so you only have to activate the MFD in the Modules tab in the Orbiter Launchpad. Then it should be available in every scenario as an MFD.

captjdk

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
None of the MFD's would appear in launcher, so just decided to delete everything and start with a fresh install. Hopefully that should clear everything up. Thanks for the help.

Dave K

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi CaptJDK - I packaged the latest BaseSyncMFD, so can tell you for sure how to install it. Download the .zip file from www.OrbitHangar.com into a download directory (e.g. C:\OrbDL) and keep it handy for the next time you are doing a clean install. Right-mouse on the .zip file, and select Extract All. Select c:\Orbiter (or wherever your Orbiter install is) for the destination and hit Extract, and the files will unpack over the top of the Orbiter installation, preserving the directory structure in the .zip file. In the case of BaseSync, you can check that there is now a file c:\Orbiter\Modules\plugin\BaseSyncMFD.dll (or wherever your install is).

BaseSyncMFD v2.6 now requires you to install ModuleMessagingExt v1.1, plus Visual C++ 2010 runtimes. If you miss either of these, then you will see errors starting Orbiter.

Note that in general, you can simply unpack .zip files like this. Always look in the .zip file though to see if the structure looks reasonable to overlay into the Orbiter structure. (E.g. does it have a set of directories that match the Orbiter structure). If you see a single .exe inside the .zip, then unpack the .zip in a temp directory and run the .exe (as the developer wants you to run a program rather than a simple unzip). You may also come across .rar riles, whish is just another type of .zip file. For these, use a free utility like 7-zip to unpack them.

captjdk

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi, thanks again for the help...did the fresh install and yes did get the ModuleMessaging error, then saw this post. I'll get those installed when I get back into town.

Dave K

birdmanmike

Reaction score
Just as a note, may help some. I was having missing updated files when unpacking from within in the Orbiter directory (e.g. D3D9 as mentioned in thread). Specifically, I was putting the zipped archive in the directory and then just right-clicking and extract(here). Unpacked correctly in structure but finding had some old file versions. Turns out that default extract in my peazip ignores existing files. Have to enter extract dialogue and un-tick "ignore existing files" - or unpack as above in temporary folder, select all, and copy into orbiter folder. Never noticed before but the never used the extract within structure till orbiter. Another live and learn . .

captjdk

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
BaseSyncMFD v2.6 now requires you to install ModuleMessagingExt v1.1, plus Visual C++ 2010 runtimes. If you miss either of these, then you will see errors starting Orbiter.

Hi, I was able to find and install ModuleMessaging, but I cant find the Visual C ++ 2010 files.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Regarding MS Visual C++ 2010 runtimes ... if you ever see an error complaining about a missing MSVCR100.dll, then you can fix it by running this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26999.

(In case you are still wondering what is this thing: when developers write code, they use functions that are distributed with the compiler. For example, the "sprintf()" function produces a formatted string of text. In the case of released apps using Microsoft Visual C++ 2010, the code to implement this function is stored in a file called MSVCR100.dll. If you really want, you can weld this into your own DLL, so that there is no external dependency. But the problem with this is that if a bug is found in the common code (e.g. a security problem), then it is much better to run a patch for the core MSVCR100.dll than to have to update every application that has the bad code inside. So - just run the installer in the link above, and you will get a version of the MS Visual C++ 2010 runtimes that can be upgraded in the future. One final thing: never copy MSVCR100.dll manually into any application directory or into your Orbiter directories. Just don't!)