Columbia, go TAL Abort

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
On the danger of telling something you know already - the whole forward RCS module isn't used at all by the Aerojet DAP (my understanding is that nominally the propellant gets dumped before entry for security reasons).

Bingo!

Thorsten

Reaction score
Okay - sorry then. It wasn't entirely clear to me from your answer what you meant (I had a 'by module' code before a 'by jet' code).

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Okay - sorry then. It wasn't entirely clear to me from your answer what you meant (I had a 'by module' code before a 'by jet' code).
Not a problem.
AFAIK currently we have an idealized RCS setup, and the RCS plumes "trick" the user into thinking this or that RCS jet is firing.
The lack of individual RCS thrusters, correct propellant sources, proper command path to fire them and GPC code to decide what to fire prevents us from doing more than a basic rotation and translation.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
First TAL abort with SSU completed today. Used the STS-101 launch scenario modifying the Inc to 46.2° (allowing an acceptable Delta azimut for Moron AFB). Tried a challenging one with 1 Engine Out right at the first TAL opportunity, 2 minutes and 25" into the flight (right after the "2 ENGINE TAL" MCC call. Flew manually from Eng fail to post ET SEP, then re-engaged the DAP after entering OPS304 with Moron in SPEC50 and closing the ET umbelical doors. The DAP made a beautiful flawless reentry all the way to the HAC RWY20.
When subsonic I took over manually again and landed.
Great machine, and a lot of fun! Thanks SSU team :thumbup:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
TAL Moron.jpg
Atlantis at TAEM over south-western Spain, inbound Moron