Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
This post was typed on my new Das Ultimate S keyboard (with the clicky MX Blue switches for tactiles) which I got for the festivity-day holidays. It's a very nice looking keyboard and it'll be coming to work with me when I go back in the new year.

Christmas itself was an interesting day, with the kids truly captivated by their gifts and the baby, for whom it was the first time, was honestly blown away by the magic of it all.

I hate Christmas. I really do. But since I've had kids, my attitude has dramatically changed from the "bah humbug" approach, because a realisation dawned - Christmas is a kids' holiday. And I recall the magic from when I was a child, when I still believed in Santa (if you're 8 and reading this, Santa is definitely real, I'm a complete liar) and got swept up in the magic myself. So Christmas has become much less of a hate-fest, and now it's part of my job to provide that magic for my own children, so they can experience Christmas like I did when I was young.

I take this very seriously.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh nice keyboard. And I'm glad you and your kids and wife/partner had a great day.

Merry Christmas, and have a happy New Year!

:cheers:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Clicky? Does the keyboard have a serious 'click' noise when you type? I miss that from the old IBM keyobards:

ModelM.jpg

These ones have serious tactile feeling and nice loud CLICK sounds.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Gary - it's not massively loud, nor is the bump exceptionally massive, but it's infinitely better than a rubber dome. I'd say it's comparable to the model M in mechanics (though the buckled springs did provide a slightly better typing sensation) but excels in both maintenance (it's a LOT easier to put the keys back on after taking them off, although the unlabelled ones mean I need to concentrate harder on where each key goes) because the switches are contained, and in aesthetics... just look at it!

If and when I ever get back on TS you'll hear how clicky it is, but my overall typing noise has decreased, as I'm not bottoming out on the old rubber-dome keyboard and wasting lots of energy making noise - the switches handle that for me.

Last edited: