Humor Children's questions, most feared by British parents

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Because it's water? :uhh:

People dread these questions because they dread their children (who often rely on them for information about the world) asking them a question they cannot answer. I think it's more an issue of failing to perform as a parent more than anything else.

Not everyone needs to know things like the mass of the Earth offhand.

Most of the other questions should be pretty easy to answer in simple terms though, even if the explanation given by most would be highly simplistic...

Not knowing the mass of the Earth doesn't mean you fail as a parent. Being unwilling to look it up, or being afraid of your children's healthy curiosity means you fail as a parent.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Not knowing the mass of the Earth doesn't mean you fail as a parent. Being unwilling to look it up, or being afraid of your children's healthy curiosity means you fail as a parent.
Children don't need to know the mass of Earth in kilograms as it's defined in physical tables. Telling them it's a mass of x times of mass of (average) elephant, buckets of water, or other object they can compare (double decker bus for example :lol:), would tell them much more than plain kilograms put in the description of physical properties.

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"How much does the earth weigh?"
"Nothing, weight is relative!"

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Best child's question I have ever heard was just before the holidays. when my niece was making Christmas cards. She looked up at her mother and said, "Mom, how do you make love?"

After a somewhat shocked pause, her mother answered "L-O-V-E", which my niece dutifully wrote on the card. Good situational awareness pushed the answer to the harder form of that question to a more appropriate time.:lol:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Children don't need to know the mass of Earth in kilograms as it's defined in physical tables. Telling them it's a mass of x times of mass of (average) elephant, buckets of water, or other object they can compare (double decker bus for example :lol:), would tell them much more than plain kilograms put in the description of physical properties.

Yes, because "747 Exaelephants" is so much easier to imagine than "5.97 Yottakilogrammes".

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Yes, because "747 Exaelephants" is so much easier to imagine than "5.97 Yottakilogrammes".
Why SI prefixes? Can't it be thousands of thousands of thousands of ...? Much more descriptive. :p

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Why SI prefixes? Can't it be thousands of thousands of thousands of ...? Much more descriptive. :p

Because "Thousands of thousands of thousands of thousands of thousands of thousands of elephants" sounds like a mouthful, and still isn't any easier to imagine.

Let's face it, the human mind just can't deal with astronomical numbers intuitively. Any attempt to simplify it is pointless. If you want to understand it, on the level of reason, not intuition, you just have to know some physics and mathematics.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Remember that we're talking about kids and not mathematicians or physicists asking for the exact number. ;)

Kid's question: what is that yottakilogram?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Nobody said anything about being unwilling to look things up or being afraid of children's curiosity.

Because "Thousands of thousands of thousands of thousands of thousands of thousands of elephants" sounds like a mouthful, and still isn't any easier to imagine.

It can convey the sense of scale quite well. Granted, so could yottakilograms, but if you don't know what a "yotta" even is, it makes no sense.

Let's face it, the human mind just can't deal with astronomical numbers intuitively.

That's nonsense. I deal with such numbers just fine, it's all a matter of scale. Understand these numbers in relative terms, use prefixes or suitable magnitudes of measurement, and there is no trouble at all.

Keatah

Reaction score
This is all basic science. Sure as heck says a lot about the ignorance of the parents though.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
#4 is the only one I couldn't give a concrete answer to offhand. I always look it up on Wikipedia when I need it, and if my hypothetical kid asked me about it, my response would simply be "GIYF".

#6 is simply semantics. Water is wet because it's a liquid and "wet" means "covered in or infused with a liquid". It's hard to get much more infused with a liquid than *being* a liquid.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
5. How do airplanes stay in the air?

Just the other day I was explaining potential flow theory to my mother.

dnt462

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
When I read number #6 the first thought that came to mind was, What is "wet"?

Radu094

Donator
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Best child's question I have ever heard was just before the holidays. when my niece was making Christmas cards. She looked up at her mother and said, "Mom, how do you make love?"

After a somewhat shocked pause, her mother answered "L-O-V-E", which my niece dutifully wrote on the card. Good situational awareness pushed the answer to the harder form of that question to a more appropriate time.:lol:

LOL! Well, somebody had to post this:

A bit long, but well worth it..