Discussion Buran anniversary.

Yuri_Gagarin

Reaction score
HAppy bday buran. Ah the energia memories. Thanks buran. You will not be forgotten. R.I.P :hailprobe::rofl::facepalm::cheers::tiphat::tiphat::hello::lol::thumbup::):):):rofl:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
It did fly automated... That's no small achievement, a reusable, automated space-plane.
The Shuttle couldn't do that... and that's no easy task.

Actually (theoretically) it could, they just chose not to do wire somethings to the GPCs, thus humans are (ermm, were...) needed. Perhaps it was a similar situation to this:
:rofl:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Maybe it was also related to the fact, that the ground segment of the MLS was never really fully operational, and NASA only operated a reduced subset of the navigation system as MSBLS for the final approach, which meant a small gap for all pre-GPS shuttles in precision guidance between MSBLS and TACAN.

The Russians instead build the necessary navigation beacons for allowing automatic landing, maybe they also had an easier task there because their military navigation was already using a lot of ground stations for navigation.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, 500,000 is a but much for many computers and you might be able to optimize things a lot for real-time rendering vs raytracing. For example, you can create a much simplified model of the "zeroth stage" with textures and a slightly simplified model for boosters and core stage, since both are not the main actors in the show. The orbiter needs the full attention.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've actually been working on-and-off on a Buran orbiter mesh for a while now using photos and renders available on buran.ru. So far I've only completed the payload bay and forward fuselage. If there's enough interest, I could probably have a complete and ready for initial alpha testing in 1-2 weeks.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've actually been working on-and-off on a Buran orbiter mesh for a while now using photos and renders available on buran.ru. So far I've only completed the payload bay and forward fuselage. If there's enough interest, I could probably have a complete and ready for initial alpha testing in 1-2 weeks.
Well, here's a current state screenshot posted just to gauge the interest in a possible Buran add-on. This is very early work, the mesh work itself is a good week or so out. I'm going to need help with creating the textures as well as getting a proper module going for it.

Attachments

• Buran_WIP.jpg
    Buran_WIP.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 8

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, here's a current state screenshot posted just to gauge the interest in a possible Buran add-on. This is very early work, the mesh work itself is a good week or so out. I'm going to need help with creating the textures as well as getting a proper module going for it.

Are you also planning to do a VC there?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Are you also planning to do a VC there?
Maybe, I don't know how useful it would be since there's very little available on just how the consoles would be configured. The only photos I've seen of the flight deck is that of BTS-002, their Approach and Landing test vehicle. Nothing on the flight deck of the actual OKs.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Great stuff!

The orbital version cockpit has this layout (I guess that's the TV camera mounted on the left pilot's "seat"):
1605525550988.png

And here's here aerotester:
1605525594920.png

The aerotester has the Jet engine dials added to the top center.
But the rest of the panel seems to be the same.

For Orbiter, I did a very basic Orbital version VC:

The OK-Gli deserves it's own addon, as it was jet powered. It could take off and land on it's own :)
I also did a VC for it, complete with working gauges (using LUA):

Hope it helps!