Question Best ways coping with stress

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Definitely, definitely go for a run. Running has even been shown to treat mild depression. Whenever I'm swamped, I take half an hour and go jogging. When I get back, I feel great and am able to concentrate better. Running makes your brain release a bunch of chemicals that are very beneficiary in reducing stress level.

TonyZ2525

Reaction score
Go get a BaseBall bat-(maybe a Louisville Slugger),then go find the cause of your stress and beat them soundly about the head and shoulders until your stress is relieved.Works everytime! :)

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Go get a BaseBall bat-(maybe a Louisville Slugger),then go find the cause of your stress and beat them soundly about the head and shoulders until your stress is relieved.Works everytime! :)

Thanks. I needed that chuckle today. ar81 is right, laughter is definitely up there on the list.

All good suggestions here. I would recommend trying as hard as you can to find some sort of hobby that involves building or making something, whether it be something you can see and feel, like the token birdhouse, or something like a character in a roleplaying game or an Orbiter mesh, dll or base, etc.

When I was in HS, we were into video games, but on the weekends we got together and played the old pen and paper RPGs. It was therapeutic to pour something of yourself into the character and be also something you couldn't be in real life. Even if we did poorly in the game or campaign that week, we'd have something of an experience to add to our character's history that we could talk about down the road in games as well as in RL. Some of my friends in HS and I still talk from time to time, and once in a while we still laugh about funny events in our campaigns.

It was a great stress relief for me anyway.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
- Comment removed by dgatsoulis -

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
your girlfriend announces to you that she's pregnant!

But there is joy in that... :p

And if you're owning a store that employees (not one) but TWO hotties! (and you have to let one of them go)

If you have a girlfriend, why should you be concerned about "hotties"? :hmm:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
But there is joy in that... :p
Actually... more than joy... i'll have at least one more "dgatsoulis" bouncing around in a few months!

If you have a girlfriend, why should you be concerned about "hotties"? :hmm:
Hmm... You're not Greek my friend, so there's no way to make you feel "a Greek's" mentality...

So... yes, i have a girlfriend and also a soon to be fiance. Does that make me a bad person?

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Long walk/jog through the woods, listen to music, drink Sleepy Time tea, rent a couple of obscure comedy films and have a laugh...

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I'd say people telling me that their problems are so much worse than mine is one of the worst things people can do to relieve my stress or depression.
Agreed. No offense to him though, everyone seems to have it harder than the next person. Each person handles stress and situations different and certainly we all are. I think it is a matter of dedication and over perseverance to complete something.

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
Agreed. No offense to him though, everyone seems to have it harder than the next person. Each person handles stress and situations different and certainly we all are. I think it is a matter of dedication and over perseverance to complete something.

I agree that all people handle it differently, which is why it's not okay to tell people that your problems are worse than theirs. One person could be more stressed about a test in school than another person is about his parents getting divorced; it's all different.

I often can't see it as a matter of dedication, though. Genuine depression can push you past the point of using logic to overcome sometimes silly problems, and hard as I might try, persevering doesn't always work when I'm depressed.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I was saying that that is what gives me the stress and contributes to it. Anyway, whatever your problems are I hate when people broadcast it like it is something to boast about.

myles

Reaction score
there is color guard tryouts soon

I just had drum major tryouts. I didn't make it:( The girl who made it didn't even know the song she was conducting, and wasn't at ANY of the practices we had! And she told me beforehand, "It's gonna be me!" URG!

flytandem

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.flytandem.com
As a kid I realized I was a worrier. Yes, stress is what you make of it. But even knowing that, it's hard to just say, "OK I won't worry about it".

In 1976 I took a 90 degree turn in 3rd year engineering at Waterloo Canada. That school term I withdrew while in the top 13 percentile and I had less than 10% attendance. Able but unwilling. I was very depressed. I knew I would rather have a minimum wage job but do something I enjoyed, like hang gliding. My parents freaked out royally. I felt truly free for the first time in my life.

I took a couple or 3 "jobs" near Montreal but eventually hitchhiked my way with $80 in pocket to another country (Calif USA) and worked off the radar mowing lawns and delivering newspapers, for several years due to no legal way to work. But that was, to me, far less stressful than doing 9 to 5 in an engineering office.

The play (hang gliding) eventually evolved into pay by the mid 80s and now at age 55 I can afford to retire if I so chose. But I just can't stop flying so the income and fun is likely to continue a few more years. Many of my engineering classmates have spent their lives playing musical chairs with jobs and unemployment. Some are very happy. The trick is to look inward to know your real desire and have the courage to do it.

YMMV. :thumbup:

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. That sounds very true to your character. I just want to be successful and happy.

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
I was saying that that is what gives me the stress and contributes to it. Anyway, whatever your problems are I hate when people broadcast it like it is something to boast about.

And I wasn't disagreeing with you anywhere in that post.

Dambuster

Reaction score
As a kid I realized I was a worrier. Yes, stress is what you make of it. But even knowing that, it's hard to just say, "OK I won't worry about it".

Same here, recently I've been 'working' on that, with surprising success :p.

It's not easy to force yourself to be less stressed about things, but if you can, it's definitely worth it. How, I'm not so sure - probably different for everyone.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Hmm... You're not Greek my friend, so there's no way to make you feel "a Greek's" mentality...

So... yes, i have a girlfriend and also a soon to be fiance. Does that make me a bad person?

From what you describe, I'm falling under impression that the shape of Greek mentality was mostly influenced by Aristippus. :lol:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score

I'd say people telling me that their problems are so much worse than mine is one of the worst things people can do to relieve my stress or depression.

My sincere apologies for my first comment in this thread. You guys are right, everyone seems to have it harder than the next person and telling to someone how much worse your problems are doesn't contribute or help in any way.
I've removed that post from the thread.

Again, my apologies
Dimitris

From what you describe, I'm falling under impression that the shape of Greek mentality was mostly influenced by Aristippus. :lol:

:lol: Well, his teachings were quite interesting. Could be a way for a stress-free life. :p