Search Babylon5 Add-ons

countofio

Reaction score
Ok, I've been going through the Babylon 5 stuff. (zohmygod awsome!:speakcool:) But I've noticed that some of it is incomplete and other things just arn't there. Things I'd like to see, but have no chance of making myself, would include.
-B5 sound pack
-Raider fighters(or a repaint for DG)
-Raider carrier
-Update to B5 for launching Starfuries from cobra bays
-Repaint of Black omega starfury for normal B5 look
-Hyperion class heavy cruiser
-The other station that was in the movie about the Membari War
-The Earth shuttles
-Centauri Republic craft
-League of non-Aligned Worlds' ships
-Epsilon Eridani system
-More Scenarios, my god more scenarios, with several of the different craft

Well, I guess I'm asking for a lot, but I think this would be really cool.
(In my best Londo Moullari impression)
Why don't you create the entire Narn Homeworld while your at it? Or the entire universe?
(In my best Mr. Morden Impression)
"One thing at a time, ambassador. One thing at a time."

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Why do you feel you have no chance of making any of these? Some of them look relatively simple, for example the ships. If you make .cfg-file vessels, with conversions of .3ds files from, say, the Celestia Motherlode at http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/fic_babylon5.php (be sure to ask permission from the author).

There's always more work to be done for Orbiter than people to do it. If this interests you, I'd recommend you get as far as you can on this, and learn more as you go.

This is how we all got started, actually.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, add-on making gets simpler after you started - if you don't start it, you will never learn it.

countofio

Reaction score
hmmm, I did not know that. I have no computer progamming training beyond normal computer use(including DOS), and Basic. I'm not sure how well I'll do. But I shall try, starting with an EA Transport.
Any suggestions on how to do this?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
hmmm, I did not know that. I have no computer progamming training beyond normal computer use(including DOS), and Basic. I'm not sure how well I'll do. But I shall try, starting with an EA Transport.
Any suggestions on how to do this?

Rule #1: Keep it simple, stupid!

Start with a mesh and a configuration file. No module needed.

Making the mesh, I can recommend you personally either anim8or or Blender.

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Ok, I've been going through the Babylon 5 stuff. (zohmygod awsome!:speakcool:) But I've noticed that some of it is incomplete and other things just arn't there. Things I'd like to see, but have no chance of making myself, would include.
-B5 sound pack
-Raider fighters(or a repaint for DG)
-Raider carrier
-Update to B5 for launching Starfuries from cobra bays
-Repaint of Black omega starfury for normal B5 look
-Hyperion class heavy cruiser
-The other station that was in the movie about the Membari War
-The Earth shuttles
-Centauri Republic craft
-League of non-Aligned Worlds' ships
-Epsilon Eridani system
-More Scenarios, my god more scenarios, with several of the different craft

Well, I guess I'm asking for a lot, but I think this would be really cool.
(In my best Londo Moullari impression)
Why don't you create the entire Narn Homeworld while your at it? Or the entire universe?
(In my best Mr. Morden Impression)
"One thing at a time, ambassador. One thing at a time."

About half of what your asking for is already done. The rest of it is in the works but I'm doing it by myself as time and inclination permits. I've not posted any of it here because it's all beta state at this point but RTF members are testing it out and sending back reports to me.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Rule #1: Keep it simple, stupid!

Start with a mesh and a configuration file. No module needed.

Making the mesh, I can recommend you personally either anim8or or Blender.

I would also recommend Wings3D for mesh-making. It's much more intuitive than either anim8or or Blender and still quite powerful.

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Countofio,

An ideal first project, then, would be to take an EA transport mesh off the Celestia site, e-mail the author for permission to convert it, convert it to .msh using 3ds2msh, and build a .cfg file for it. Then build a (or alter an existing) scenario, and presto! Your first add-on!
Tools used: 3ds2msh, and notepad.exe to create or alter the .cfg and .scn files.

As soon as you've done it, I'm sure you'll find areas which you'll wish to improve. That's the fun part.

You could work a long time just doing mesh conversions, but sooner or later you'll want to make, or at least alter, your own. Anim8or is the preferred (free) tool for this.

It's good that tgep is working in the same area, but don't let that stop you. There's plenty of work to be done, and once you've proven you can do SOMETHING, you can always offer to help him out in some way, if you like.

I think you should do it. You have described what is almost an ideal starter project: go for it!

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I totaly agree. That's one of the things that got me involved in getting into development. I was always thinking " yeah, but, wouldn't it be neat if ... ".
That's when I took the plunge.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
I totaly agree. That's one of the things that got me involved in getting into development. I was always thinking " yeah, but, wouldn't it be neat if ... ".
That's when I took the plunge.

Exactly, don't feel foolish to start small either. Most people's first addons are nothing but flying shoe boxes.

I've made about 40 little micro addons. Some were learning experiments, others were 'what if' ships. A few are imitations of vessels I've seen somewhere else.

But yes, start with something small and easy on your list and see how well you can do!

-Pv-

Reaction score
I see that both Blender and Wings3D are also free. Both have Linux versions and with Blender's X64 support, I would be able to take advantage of my Linux X64 Dual core horsepower.
-Pv-