Error AutoAFCSv2 downrange err in STS payloadsV2

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hey all. I am following the exact procedures for deorbit and reentry to KSC. As told in the manual, But whenever I get right before the last step which is coast it EI. I get an error message that says AFCS downrange err. What is this about and how can I fix it, or am I screwing up the procedure. Running all on bare bones just orbiter 2006p1 and sts payloads. Plus the addons I was told to add to it to STS payloadsv2 by the readme. Everything else runs fine in it. Go figure, any help would be great. thanks

Last edited:

-Pv-

Reaction score
As you have probably discovered by now, the downrange error is usually caused by two things:
1) You did not give the AP time to position the Shuttle for the burn.
2) Your orbital track is too far off for the program to adjust the Shuttle's course to reach the intended landing site. The best time to deorbit is on an orbit where while viewing the MAP, you can see the future track cross near your landing site as you approach Australia. I use EXTENDED MAP MFD for this so I can see many orbits ahead in time.
-Pv-

Gazza

Reaction score
There is a bug with AFCS and the shuttle being a child attachment or no main engines in the STS-VC if i remember correctly. The pylon pre/reentry sequence cured this bug so the download error range was fixed. The reentry sequence needs to be performed correctly otherwise this bug may occur. Most of the STS Payloads questions and answers, FAQs or still on the old orbiter forum website. STS Payloads v3 is in the pipeline with part two included as well as better timings for sequences and updated meshes and textures.
Thanks

Interceptor

Reaction score
I have it running great now Gazza. Thanks very much for your advice. Will you have the Shuttle rollout scenario also.

Gazza

Reaction score
I have it running great now Gazza. Thanks very much for your advice. Will you have the Shuttle rollout scenario also.

I will have a look at this as member Marg777 used pylon sequences for this scenario.

Thanks