General Question ATC issue with World of 2001

XLR82SPACE

Reaction score
I just started a new instatation with World of 2001, My question is after all sound packs for 2001 installed, I'm still hearing Apollo ATC saying "we can't read you Neil" and things to that nature! Its kind of freaky, its 2001 sound then Houston and Apollo peeps in. Its like you can look out the window at the moon of Jupiter and imagine seeing a Apollo CSM float by. Is there a way to disable that generic Orbiter sound stuff without affecting 2001 sound? I'm sure it is just not sure how to do it.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
In the orbiter sound config program you can turn off ATC chatter.

XLR82SPACE

Reaction score
In the orbiter sound config program you can turn off ATC chatter.
Thanks Insanity,
Thats what I thought I knew but wasn't sure if it would somehow take away from the 2001 stuff. I'll give it a try.

Tommy

Reaction score
Which soundpacks are you referring to? If they contain ATC chatter, then turning off ATC will disable that as well.

Soundpacks with ATC chatter usually place the ATC in a folder inside Orbiter/Sound/Radio. The folder will be named with a number and a name, such as "296.800 apollo".
Use OrbitsoundMFD within a sim to select the ATC frequency indicated in the folder name. Orbitsound remembers this setting between sessions, personnally, I've always wondered why Dan didn't make that selectable in the Orbitsound Configuration Utility. Perhaps it is, and I've just not found it yet!

If you hear ATC from both Apollo and 2001, then I'd guess the soundpack got installed into the 296.800 apollo folder by mistake.

XLR82SPACE

Reaction score
Tommy, if I (delete) the 296.800 folder all together so its no longer an issue, will this effect in any instance the other sound performance or Orbiter main files for play acuracy? I don't think it would your not deleting ddls it just sound, but I'd like to make sure first. Taking it a step further, when setting up a new install, for something specific like 2001. I would not play the shuttle or delta for example is there any dammage that can occur from you deleting out everything but lets say 2001 out of the main Orbiter scenario file. To me theres a lot of MB and such being taken by the game that is not needed for a set senario such as 2001. It would save some room on hard drive. Just wondering. Like I have set up a scenario with fleet, ISS, Mir etc. , then I got a dedicated install for amso, and then one for mercury, and gemini. I do not need all of the generic orbiter shuttle files and sound, chatter, etc. in the two installs not requiring use of shuttle, and delta etc. Don't know if an install can be cleaned out all but of the chosen senario and still work??

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
You can clear out any scenarios you don't want. However, I don't know if you can get rid of all the default stuff.

Tommy

Reaction score
Deleting any of the "radio" folders (the ones in Orbiter/Sound/Radio that have the "number-name") naming convention can be removed safely. It will not affect any engine, ambient, or custom sounds - just the ATC "chatter". I'm not positive what happens if you delete the "active" folder (the one OrbitSoundMFD is set to), I believe Orbitsound simply defaults to the first valid folder it finds. Dan tends to build pretty error-proof stuff.

As to the scenario files, You can safely delete all of them, but the scenarios don't take up that much space. You could delete individual meshes and textures, but be carefull - some add-ons re-use textures from stock or other add-ons. It's best not to delete anything that comes with the Orbiter Base, other than scenarios and the contents of the flights folder (the flights folder may be much larger than the scenario folder, and if you've deleted the scenario, the flight data will never be needed). I've made and added a few recordings beyond the stock ones, but my Flights directory is over 65 Mb, and the Scenarios directory is less than 3 Mb. Also, avoid installing hight level textures for planets or moons you won't ve visiting, etc.

XLR82SPACE

Reaction score
A OK, that sounds a winner. Just wanted to take a load off the ole PC, and get rid off the things I would not need. Thanks Tommy. XLRR82SPACE